none
Report Data Sources Dialog Box fails RRS feed

• Question

• Visual Studio 2008 report designer.  The Report Data Sources dialog box fails to open, displaying an error about "Could not load file or assembly.... The system cannot find the file specified."  I was able to determine that the problem is caused by some problem in an unrelated referenced assembly.  This assembly has nothing whatsoever to do with my report, but apparently when the dialog window is preparing its list of potential data sources for the drop-down, it runs into some problem with it.  The result is the Data Sources dialog totally gives up and I am unable to view or maintain the data sources for any report in the same project (web site). 

I found that I can get around it by going to the bin folder in the Solution Explorer pane and selecting "exclude from project" for the dll (in my case Zedgraph.web.dll).  This was pretty difficult to diagnose because the error message complains about loading Zedgraph.dll, but the real problem is with the assembly that was trying to reference it, which was Zedgraph.web.dll.

I don't know if there is something wrong with Zedgraph.web.dll or something wrong with how VS is trying to access it (the dll works just fine for all other purposes).  In either case, it seems wrong for the Data Sources dialog box to simply bail out (and with a pretty unhelpful error message, at that).  If it is indeed a problem in the dll and not with VS, then it would be better for it to simply skip the class that causes the problem, and still allow me to access the Data Sources dialog.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 3:35 PM

All replies

• Hello Kbd Guy,

Thanks so much for posting this.   I've been struggling with the same error for the last year or so - generally to avoid it and be able to edit my reports I had to delete a webservice from my solution. However today it was complaining about a couple of different DLL's, and getting rid of the webservice wasn't sufficient. Your post led me to 'Exclude from Project' against 3 DLL's, and now it's all working again as advertised.

I do hope they fixed this in Visual Studio 2010.

Thanks again,
    Mike

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 5:27 AM
  • Visual Studio 2010 does NOT fix this problem so I am very grateful to find the 'fix' that Kbd Guy suggested having even considered moving away from ZedGraph!

Regards,

Mike Robertson

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 5:34 PM