none
Passing a structure from c++ into a LIB written in c# using Framework 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know much about c#, but I need to create a c# lib that can be called from c++.  The functions in c# need to receive a structure of data.  My code is listed below:

c++  (LIB is included in project)

struct Name
        {
            char FileName[100];
            char FileVersion[100];
        };
        Name;

Name  szFile;

VisionScape Vs;
        Vs.LoadCameraWithConfigFile( szFile);

c# LIB

using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Text;
    using System.Threading.Tasks;
    using System.Runtime.InteropServices;

namespace MicroScanFrontRunner
    {
        public class VisionScape
        {
            [StructLayout(LayoutKind.Sequential, CharSet = CharSet.Ansi)]
            public struct Name
            {
                [MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.ByValTStr, SizeConst = 100)]
                public string FileName;
                [MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.ByValTStr, SizeConst = 100)]
                public string FileVersion;
            };

public int LoadCameraWithConfigFile( Name sName )
            {
                int value;
                value = 2;
                return value;
            }
        }
    }

I am getting the following compiler error:

Severity    Code    Description    Project    File    Line    Suppression State
    Error    C2664    'int MicroScanFrontRunner::VisionScape::LoadCameraWithConfigFile(MicroScanFrontRunner::VisionScape::Name)': cannot convert argument 1 from 'InitializeScanner::Name' to 'MicroScanFrontRunner::VisionScape::Name'    MicroScan    C:\Users\efthss\Desktop\Plant Moves\MicroScan Vision\C dll\MicroScanCamreaGige\MicroScan.cpp    100    

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 9:05 PM

All replies

• You cannot create C# classes from C++ code. This is not a supported situation. Nor can you go the other way unless you're using C++/CLI. You have limited options. The first option is to implement a COM interface in your C# code and then load the code in your C++ app as COM. This is as close to using a C# class as you can get. The alternative approach is to define callbacks that your native code calls that can point to a managed function.

Also note that you cannot simply load a C# assembly in C++ code. The CLR has to be running to support managed code. It really sounds like you need to be using COM here. Note that you can load native DLLs inside a managed process and this is supported but you're going the other way here.

Michael Taylor http://www.michaeltaylorp3.net

Thursday, February 7, 2019 2:59 PM
  • Have you tried ‘MicroScanFrontRunner::VisionScape::Name szFile’ instead of ‘Name szFile’?

Thursday, February 7, 2019 5:00 PM