none
How to get an Visual studios Excel workbook solution to work on 3 versions of office RRS feed

• Question

• You cannot vote on your own post

I  am using VS 2008 (version 9) and have built an Excel 2007 workbook solution.  I would like this solution to  work for:

1. Office 2003

2. Office 2007

3. Office 2010

The machine I built the solution on has Office 2007.  I tried to move this solution and rebuild it on an Office 2010 machine and VS told me that the solution was not compatible and could not load it.  I tried to move the solution and rebuild it on an office 2003 machine and got a similar result.

How can I use the same code base for the different office versions?  Do I need VS 2010 - would that solve all my problems?

Any help most appreciated.

thanks

anton

Anton
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 7:55 AM

Answers

• Hi Anton

In order for a VSTO solution to work across multiple versions is must be created and built against with the PIAs of the oldest of those versions. So you'd need to start with VS 2008 and Office 2003, *.doc file format.

Then, as long as nothing in the underlying technology has changed, that solution can move forward - without being rebuilt! - to a new version of Office.

The problem you're going to have with Office 2003 vs. later versions is that 2003 doesn't support the Ribbon and 2007/2010 don't do a really good job of supporting command bars...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 9:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Anton

In order for a VSTO solution to work across multiple versions is must be created and built against with the PIAs of the oldest of those versions. So you'd need to start with VS 2008 and Office 2003, *.doc file format.

Then, as long as nothing in the underlying technology has changed, that solution can move forward - without being rebuilt! - to a new version of Office.

The problem you're going to have with Office 2003 vs. later versions is that 2003 doesn't support the Ribbon and 2007/2010 don't do a really good job of supporting command bars...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 9:49 AM
  • Hi Cindy,

Thanks so much for your concise and specific response.  That is exactly what I needed to know.

Have a great weekend.

Anton

Anton
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 9:18 PM