none
.Net Framework: WORA - Write once, run anywhere. Will it be? RRS feed

• Question

• I have read about .Net Core and other news relating it.

Will it be platform independent?

Will i be able to write once and run anywhere using .Net Framework like Java?

That would be very cool, i am very excited.

I am not talking about Mono, Xamarin!

I am talking about real .Net Framework!

• Edited by Ziya Ceferov Wednesday, January 14, 2015 11:43 AM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2015 11:17 AM

Answers

• Hello,

If you are asking the .NET Framework, currently, it is still platform dependent which needs to run on the windows operation system. But not sure if the team would completely change it to be platform dependent as now you also see that the team releases the .NET Framework Core which is platform independent and can be supported by Microsoft on Windows, Linux and Mac OSX. In the feature, I think the team would release a platform independent .NET Framework so that at that time, you could do what you want:

Write once, run anywhere.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Ziya Ceferov Thursday, January 15, 2015 8:41 AM
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 7:56 AM

All replies

• Hello,

If you are asking the .NET Framework, currently, it is still platform dependent which needs to run on the windows operation system. But not sure if the team would completely change it to be platform dependent as now you also see that the team releases the .NET Framework Core which is platform independent and can be supported by Microsoft on Windows, Linux and Mac OSX. In the feature, I think the team would release a platform independent .NET Framework so that at that time, you could do what you want:

Write once, run anywhere.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Ziya Ceferov Thursday, January 15, 2015 8:41 AM
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 7:56 AM
  • Hi there,

Has anyone tried that nevron open vision for .net(https://www.nevron.com/products-open-vision.aspx)? It claims to be a full cross-platform that allows you to build an application as they say "from a single code base".

Creating an application from a single code base sounds like a dream come true to me, so I've checked the price as I expected to be out of space and I was kinda surprised to $889 for the Enterprise edition of the suite, actually for the amount of components that are in the suite, even if it runs only on .net, it still seems to be a really good deal.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone has tried it already? I wonder if it can really allow me to develop app from single code base, but I don't wanna dig into it, start doing something and waste my time, it that's not true. So I was hoping someone has tried it already and can share some personal experience.

P.S. I've notice they say that the UI control is free, but it still requires me to sign up and "Request Free Community License", there isn't a direct download link.... Has anyone gone through the whole process of "requesting" the UI? Do they ask to fill up any visa data or directly ask for money on a later stage?

Thanks a lot!

Marcus

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 2:45 PM