none
Can't install VS2017 RC in a virtual machine

Question

• I would like to try out VS2017, but don't want to install it on my dev machine, so set up a VM for it. I downloaded the installer (vs_Enterprise.exe), but when I double-click it, after the UAC dialog, it shows a very brief window saying it's extracting files to a temp folder, something like C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\2c64cc13-d8a2-4e64-829c-6c8e2852b768 (the UID at the end changes every time I try it), but then that disappears and then nothing happens.

If I look in that folder, all I see is a single file named vs_setup_bootstrapper.json whose contents are as follows...

{
      "productId": "Microsoft.VisualStudio.Product.Enterprise",
      "channelId": "VisualStudio.15.Release",
      "channelUri": "https://aka.ms/vs/15/release/channel"
    }

I'm using a virtual Windows 7 Professional SP1 and have updated windows. The host machine is Windows 10 Professional 64-bit if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help you can give. Please let me know if there is any more info I can provide.

• Edited by Mr Yossu Monday, January 23, 2017 8:57 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2017 8:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Mr Yossu,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

Your virtual configuration matches the VS 2017 system requirement well.

Could you please tell that if the virtual machine is connected to network well?

From my point of view, you could do an offline installation on the VM. Please take a look at:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/create-an-offline-installation-of-visual-studio

Here are steps:

Step 1:

Download the VS 2017 RC Community web installer from here:

https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/

type and run the vs_Community.exe --layout C:\layout in cmd

Step 2: the following cmd pops, showing all the downloading resources packages of the VS 2017 RC Community:

Step 3:

When all the downloads succeed, the layout file folder contains all the packages and installers.

Step 4:

Copy the layout folder to VM.

Step 5:

On your vitual machine, run vs_Community.exe, the following form pops, install the packages you need for your program development:

If there is any problem persists, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:20 AM
  • Thanks for that. Is it possible to do this for the Enterprise edition? I specifically want to check out live unit testing, which is only available in the Enterprise edition.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 2:13 PM
  • Ah, found the problem. I noticed after posting that the VM hadn't finished updating. After a few more cycles of updating Windows and restarting until there weren't any more updates, the installer is now running quite happily.

Thanks anyway. Hope this helps someone else.

• Marked as answer by Mr Yossu Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:31 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mr Yossu Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:39 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:31 PM
  • Uh-oh, spoke to soon. Installation failed with the following log...

[05cc:0003][2017-01-24T15:33:16] Invalid source and/or destination paths
    [05cc:0003][2017-01-24T15:33:16] Package 'Microsoft.DiagnosticsHub.KB2882822.Win7,version=15.0.26004.1,chip=x64' failed to install. Return code: 0, Details: Invalid source and/or destination paths
    [05cc:001c][2017-01-24T15:33:30] Error 0x80070002: 
    Package payload not found: cab9.cab, package: Microsoft.Net.CoreSDK.50,version=1.0.23904
    Package payload not found: cab10.cab, package: Microsoft.Net.CoreSDK.50,version=1.0.23904
    Package payload not found: cab11.cab, package: Microsoft.Net.CoreSDK.50,version=1.0.23904
    Package payload not found: cab12.cab, package: Microsoft.Net.CoreSDK.50,version=1.0.23904

Any ideas?

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:39 PM
  • Hi Mr Yossu,

For your question 1:

>>Is it possible to do this for the Enterprise edition?

Of course, it works fine with the VS Enterprise edition, just make sure executing the VS Enterprise the web installer in the CMD.

For your question 2:

>>'Microsoft.DiagnosticsHub.KB2882822.Win7,version=15.0.26004.1,chip=x64' failed to install.

Like you mentioned before, you are to the point, the cause of it is pending on system update, the KB2882822 failed to install.

Please install it manually from: 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=40371

Insurance, please check your windows update and patches and make them to the newest.

Also, the VS 2017 RC system requirement is Win 7 sP1, please apply to it from:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/15090/windows-7-install-service-pack-1-sp1

To eliminate the Internet variables, I would also recommend you use the --layout command to download a complete offline installer.

If any question still existed, please feel free to let me know, I'm still willing to helping you.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 7:07 AM
  • Hello, thanks for the reply.

I have run updates over and over again, and there aren't any new, it's fully up-to-date, including the KB one you linked.

However, if I run VS setup again, it fails with the following log...

[1258:0003][2017-01-25T14:15:42] Invalid source and/or destination paths
    [1258:0003][2017-01-25T14:15:42] Package 'Microsoft.DiagnosticsHub.KB2882822.Win7,version=15.0.26004.1,chip=x64' failed to install. Return code: 0, Details: Invalid source and/or destination paths

VS does run, and I can run live unit tests in a small sample project, but when I try live unit tests in a real (ie about 35 projects) solution, live unit tests don't run. Not sure if this is related, but I see that the two web projects in the solution didn't load. If I try to load them, it tells me I'm missing some packages, and offers to install them. If I try, the set up fails with the same log as above.

Any ideas? Thanks

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 2:27 PM
  • Hi Mr Yossu,

I know that you have tried all the windows update, I'm sorry that it brings you convenience about test. let's concentrate on the following error:

>>[1258:0003][2017-01-25T14:15:42] Package 'Microsoft.DiagnosticsHub.KB2882822.Win7,version=15.0.26004.1,chip=x64' failed to install.

So I did a research about it, find several community members have faced similar error as yours, someone has submit the feedback, please see:

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/3040/2017-rc-installation-error-package-microsoftdiagno.html

Currently, the VS 2017 RC version is still under the beta test condition, as we could see in the feedback page, our Microsoft product team are focusing on this and trying to find an appropriate solution.

>> it tells me I'm missing some packages

If some packages are missing, considering that there is not VS 2017 RC ISO file, would you mind having a try with the --layout offline installer, after downloading full packages, use it to repair the missing files and packages.

As far as I know, the VS 2017 RTM version will be released after two weeks, you may wait till it releases, then install the RTM version, I believe it would offer you a much better experience to install and program development.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, January 26, 2017 6:14 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. If it's only two weeks, I'll hang on. One of my main reasons for testing this was to compare live unit testing with ReSharper's continuous unit testing, but that's still in beta and won't be stable until they release the VS2017 version, so I might as well wait for both.

Thanks again

Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:10 PM
  • Hi Mr Yossu,

Thank you for your update.

I think It's wise of you to take this solution about waiting for the VS 2017 RTM version, if it doesn't affect your current work. After two weeks you use it to do program test. If you have any problem about using that latest VS 2017, please feel free to post here, We are willing to helping you troubleshooting.

Have a good day:)

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

Friday, January 27, 2017 5:37 AM
  • I have the same root issue:

Package 'Microsoft.DiagnosticsHub.KB2882822.Win7,version=15.0.26109.1,chip=x64' failed to install.Details
            Return code: 0
            Return code details: Invalid source and/or destination paths

**My concern is that it won't be fixed in the RTM.**  I originally reported this issue back on Nov 18, 2016 here: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/3097/setup-operation-failed-vs2017-rc-community-invalid.html 

And the issue has been marked as "Fixed - Pending Release" for more almost two months.  Yet the RC that just came out yesterday (version=15.0.26127.0) does not fix the issue.   What indication do you have that this issue will in fact be fixed in the RTM version?  Any help ensuring that it is fixed in RTM would be greatly appreciated.

-Ron

Here is a copy of the error log from that install:

The product failed to install the listed workloads and components due to one or more package failures.

Incomplete workloads
        .NET Core cross-platform development (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.NetCoreTools,version=15.0.26127.0)
        ASP.NET and web development (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.NetWeb,version=15.0.26127.0)

Incomplete components
        ASP.NET and web development tools (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.Web,version=15.0.26127.0)
        JavaScript diagnostics (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.JavaScript.Diagnostics,version=15.0.26109.1)
        Profiling tools (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.DiagnosticTools,version=15.0.26109.1)

You can search for solutions using the information below, modify your selections for the above workloads and components and retry the installation, or remove the product from your machine.

Following is a collection of individual package failures that led to the incomplete workloads and components above. To search for existing reports of these specific problems, please copy and paste the URL from each package failure into a web browser. If the issue has already been reported, you can find solutions or workarounds there. If the issue has not been reported, you can create a new issue where other people will be able to find solutions or workarounds.

Package 'Microsoft.DiagnosticsHub.KB2882822.Win7,version=15.0.26109.1,chip=x64' failed to install.
        Search URL: https://aka.ms/VSSetupErrorReports?q=PackageId=Microsoft.DiagnosticsHub.KB2882822.Win7;PackageAction=Install;ReturnCode=0
        Impacted workloads
            .NET Core cross-platform development (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.NetCoreTools,version=15.0.26127.0)
            ASP.NET and web development (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.NetWeb,version=15.0.26127.0)
        Impacted components
            ASP.NET and web development tools (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.Web,version=15.0.26127.0)
            JavaScript diagnostics (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.JavaScript.Diagnostics,version=15.0.26109.1)
            Profiling tools (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.DiagnosticTools,version=15.0.26109.1)
        Log
            C:\Users\Ron Clabo\AppData\Local\Temp\dd_setup_20170130103340_113_Microsoft.DiagnosticsHub.KB2882822.Win7.log
        Details
            Return code: 0
            Return code details: Invalid source and/or destination paths

Monday, January 30, 2017 5:48 PM
  • Hi Ron,

Thank you for your kindly inform and update.

Actually when I deal with this case, I also did a research and find the reporting thread you linked, but didn't find a suitable solution, besides an offline installation could fix the missing packages.

>>**My concern is that it won't be fixed in the RTM.**

I understand your worry does make sense and the inconvenience it brings to you, as is seen in your reporting thread, currently not an official solution available currently, Microsoft product team must be investigating on it. Except the VS itself, considering OS, Win 7 could be another variability. I've noticed that 24 people are following this, please wait patiently till the newest VS 2017 is released.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, February 01, 2017 6:00 AM