layer basics RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to add a layer to an image. I create a new layer from the layers panel but its transparent, the bottom layer shows through. How do I make it a solid colour? Also I would like to change the colour of the new layer but when I go to the pop up menu in the layers panel to change the colour it does nothing.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 7:40 PM

All replies

• Hi developer555,

All layers in Expression Design are transparent and there's no way to change that. You could create a large rectangle on the layer and give it a fill color of your choice.

If you click on a layer and choose, from the layer option button, Layer Options > Layer Color you should be able to choose and set a new color. That isn't working for you?
    Annie
    Monday, December 7, 2009 9:12 PM
  • Hi, thanks for the reply. I'll try what you said about creating a rectangle. As for the colour, if the layer is transparent can you still give it a colour? Thats what I'm doing, Layer Options > Layer colour on a transparent layer, should that change the colour?
    Monday, December 7, 2009 9:21 PM
  • The Layer Options > Layer Color doesn't change the transparent layer background to a colored background. It only changes the color of the layer in the Layer Panel. The color in the Layer Panel corresponds to the color of the paths on that layer to make it easy to see which layer you're on while you're creating objects on the Artboard.

Sorry for the confusion. I thought you were asking two different questions. Now I see you were asking about the Layer Options > Layer Color as a way to change the transparent background. My mistake.
    Annie
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 6:03 AM
  • hi, thanks for the reply. That's helped me a lot. So the Layer Options > Layer colour doesn't actually change the colour of the layer, it just assigns a colour in the layers panel to a layer to make it easy to see what layer you're on. Is that correct? I'd also like to ask about the paintbrush tool. I select the paintbrush tool and it just draws a thin line on the layer, I select a stroke and stoke width and it then draws a thicker line, is that the correct way to use the paintbrush? Also when I paint with the paintbrush on a transparent layer it goes outside the border of the layer, how do you confine it to the layer? Also on the view it leaves the thin line (or path?) visible on the layer, how do I hide the thin line of the paintbrush?

developer555
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 10:05 AM
  • in design 1 when I don t want to see a path while drawing I go to view- show edges and turn it off
    I don t know if it works in design3 like that 
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 12:19 PM
  • Hi, yes, I've found the answer to that, just click on the image.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 5:29 PM
  • Layers are helpful?  Or perhaps: helpful groupings of things that enter into creative's consciousness as part of the mechanisms to manage creativity and workflow?

Suppose one wishes to draw a car in ED.
    One might have a layer for the front door, another layer for glass objects and yet another layer for lights amongst all the many other layers that might exist in a design.  It sort of makes things easier and yet more complicated all at the same time.  And also because some effects might need to use the top down approach of viewing all of these acetate-type layers from the top to the -ahem- bottom (?)  (Layer effects/blend modes work that way too and that tangentially leads on to another basic assumption: object options > object sub-options.

Example
    Object: brush
    sub options: stroke width, type, colour, ...
    (or was it Object: Stroke with brush as a sub-option (?)
    {I think that is one reason why drawing tends to be an artform.  There really is too much to compute hence stuff follows mechanical parametrisation given over to hands of the artist no?

If one recalls "acetates" a layer is a bit like an acetate with stuff drawn on to it and the layer above is a bit like another acetate with stuff drawn on to it too and so forth and so on.

Of course that follows that train of thought: making something far more difficult in order to make it a whole lot easier just like, say, Calculus as an example. (?)  Or predictive statistics or even quantum mechanics 
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 10:51 PM
  • To developer555:  Your questions are well covered in the Help files.  Just as easy to read there as here on the NG.

~Fred
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 1:53 PM