none
Failed to restart Windows 8.1 after installed Visual Studio 2015

Question

• First time I installed Visual Studio 2015 community update 1 partially success.(Some features failed to install) But i can still running it. But when I tried to run coding, it shows 
    Error LNK1171 unable to load mspdb140.dll (error code: 127)

Then I tried to reinstall Visual Studio 2015 for a few times but no matter Visual Studio Community 2015 update 1, update 2 or Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise update 2, once i restart after install, i cant start my windows 8.1. I format once and install after format also get the same result. Anyone can help me?
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 11:50 AM

Answers

• Hi my friend,

Thank you for your post.

>>Error LNK1171 unable to load mspdb140.dll (error code: 127)

The error shows that the given DLL was unavailable.

The possible locations for the DLL are the current directory, the system directory, the Windows directory, and the directories specified in the PATH environment variable.

LNK1171 can also indicate that your machine is low on memory, or that the linker cannot load a file required by filename.

Reference:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7sz6ke42%28v=vs.90%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If you still failed to install any version of VS after the OS format, I suspect that the cause of the issue is pending on your machine environment and configuration, you had better check if the memory is available enough.

In addition, if you have trouble of installing windows 8.1, I suggest you go to the following forum for dedicated support.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 7:19 AM

All replies

• Hi my friend,

Thank you for your post.

>>Error LNK1171 unable to load mspdb140.dll (error code: 127)

The error shows that the given DLL was unavailable.

The possible locations for the DLL are the current directory, the system directory, the Windows directory, and the directories specified in the PATH environment variable.

LNK1171 can also indicate that your machine is low on memory, or that the linker cannot load a file required by filename.

Reference:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7sz6ke42%28v=vs.90%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If you still failed to install any version of VS after the OS format, I suspect that the cause of the issue is pending on your machine environment and configuration, you had better check if the memory is available enough.

In addition, if you have trouble of installing windows 8.1, I suggest you go to the following forum for dedicated support.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 7:19 AM
  • Low in memory is ROM or RAM?
    Wednesday, June 22, 2016 12:05 PM
  • Hi my friend,

Usually, low in memory usually means RAM.

From your initial post, " format " means your OS format, right? But after the format, the problem still persists, so I suggest you go the Windows forum I mentioned above to ask for advice to solve your OS issue.

Once you have a clean and healthy environment, then install the VS, if you have some other questions about VS IDE or configuration, please feel free to ask us again.

Best Regards,

Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:27 AM