How to easily customize keyboard shortcuts RRS feed

• Question

• Keyboard shortcut definition screen has a bunch of commands that I have no idea what they do.

Is there a way to execute a command in visual studio (say, opening the pending changes window) and then locate the associated command for keyboard shortcut customization?

For my example, View.PendingChanges exists, but when I bind a key to it it tells me the command isn't currently accessible and I have no way to locate the correct command for accomplishing my task.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 5:20 PM

All replies

• Hi pmagr,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

I consider you might mention about this command : View.TfsPendingChanges.

Not sure if the pending changes is the window of tfs that you want to open, if yes, you could customize keyboard shortcuts from Tools -> Options -> Keyboard -> type View.TfsPendingChanges in the “Show commands containing” box select it from the below list and press shortcut keys you want in the “Press shortcut keys” box then click Assign and OK to confirm this setting.

In general, this will work and to customize keyboard shortcuts in Visual Studio, you could refer to this document Identify and customize keyboard shortcuts in Visual Studio.

In addition, about the task of the default keyboard shortcuts in Visual Studio, I recommend you could refer to this document Shortcut tips for Visual Studio and get more details if you’d like to use or confirm some of them.

I hope all above could help you and any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 15, 2019 6:19 AM
  • You can install the Learn the Shortcut extension that displays the keyboard shortcut for any command that you execute.

Sergey Vlasov | Vlasov Studio | Best in class Visual Studio extensions and tools

Saturday, November 16, 2019 4:56 PM
  • Hi pmagr,

Sorry for bothering you.

Did tianyu's suggestion help you? BTW, could you share the key you want? In general, we could assign any keyword for different commands, and if the keyword is repeated from existing one, IDE will automatically remove the existing one. 

Look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Dylan 

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, November 21, 2019 6:24 AM