none
Open Word File on server in Client and Save File to Server Machine in Vb.net RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am developing Windows application in vb.net using visual studio 2012.I have created one folder in server machine.I put all word documents in that file.In IIS i created one virual directory and map to that folder.I want to open that word file in my client machine and after opening and i need to edit word and i want to save that word file in same place in server.

For Example,

sFile="http://ServerName/VirtualDirectoryName/Foldername/File.doc"

oWordApp = New Word.Application

oWordApp.Visible = True

oWordApp.Documents.Open(sFile)

using above code i can open file.But it open as read only.I want to edit word and i need to save same place in server.How to do in vb.net.Pls provide solution.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 1:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, you want to open sever documents in client, edit it and then save it back to server.

I'm afraid we cannot edit a Word document which is stored in server after directly opening it with an URL in client. The document will be in read-only mode and we cannot change it. You have to download the Word document to local client machine, then open and edit the document with Word Object Model. In addition, we have to upload the document to the server instead of saving the document to server directly with the URL after editing.

But downloading/uploading document to server side from client side is not related to Office development, I suggest you posting in the proper forum based on your developing language for more effective responses.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:06 AM
  • Hi GC_04,

It is impossible to commit the changes back to storage server without implementing MS-FSSHTTP protocol.

[MS-FSSHTTP]: File Synchronization via SOAP over HTTP Protocol

The default HTTP will only provide one-way communication (open), to support two-way communication (open and edit), you need to implement MS-FSSHTTP in server side.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, September 12, 2014 9:49 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I am moving your question to Word for Developers forum

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:31 PM
  • Hi GC

Which version of Word is this? When the file opens, is it in a "protected view", "reading mode" or is it marked in the title bar as "read-only"?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 5:57 PM
  • Hi,

I am using MS Word 2010.The file open as "Read -only"....

Thursday, September 11, 2014 4:51 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, you want to open sever documents in client, edit it and then save it back to server.

I'm afraid we cannot edit a Word document which is stored in server after directly opening it with an URL in client. The document will be in read-only mode and we cannot change it. You have to download the Word document to local client machine, then open and edit the document with Word Object Model. In addition, we have to upload the document to the server instead of saving the document to server directly with the URL after editing.

But downloading/uploading document to server side from client side is not related to Office development, I suggest you posting in the proper forum based on your developing language for more effective responses.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:06 AM
  • Hi GC_04,

It is impossible to commit the changes back to storage server without implementing MS-FSSHTTP protocol.

[MS-FSSHTTP]: File Synchronization via SOAP over HTTP Protocol

The default HTTP will only provide one-way communication (open), to support two-way communication (open and edit), you need to implement MS-FSSHTTP in server side.

Regards,

Jeffrey

Friday, September 12, 2014 9:49 AM
  • Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a API for our web application which can allow users to open a word document from our server in the client computer, and after the finish editing, when they save a file, it saves it on the server.

Does anyone know any products by office or any third party application that can achieve this functionality?

Thanks,

Asad.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 10:38 PM