MSDN Subscruption Renewal and RRS feed

• Question

• I can't see whether this question has been asked before - my apologies if it has!

I have recently renewed by MSDN subscription yet again and, in some of the software categories, I have used my full allotted allocation (10 of 10 for Windows 7) but need to setup some new VMs. I am a software developer and have a fairly large selection of VMs for development and testing.

Does the license count restart each time the subscription is renewed ie: am I able to reuse some of the previously allocated licenses and have multiple VMs with the same license number or is it possible to have the alloted license count for my subscription reset to 0. Or do I just have to sign up as a new subscriber next time my subscription falls due.

Thanks.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:31 AM

Answers

• There isn't a license count with MSDN Subscriptions.  The license works per user, and any machine that you use according to the terms of the agreement (i.e. Dev and test purposes only) is something you can use.  You can use any VMs that were created from MSDN Subscriptions software for dev and test purposes, even if they were originally created by a different MSDN Subscriber.

Product keys that require activation often provide activations for much more than one machine, if you need to activate something, you should be able to use each of the keys you've already been given multiple times.

Let me know what followup qestions you have Peter, I'll be monitoring this thread.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:21 PM

All replies

• You can't generate additional product keys when you renew your subscription. Renewing subscription will only enable access you to download the latest or existing products based on your subscription level till your extended period. Also, If you need additional product keys you can call and request from your local Microsoft MSDN Support.

Regards,

Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:54 PM
  • There isn't a license count with MSDN Subscriptions.  The license works per user, and any machine that you use according to the terms of the agreement (i.e. Dev and test purposes only) is something you can use.  You can use any VMs that were created from MSDN Subscriptions software for dev and test purposes, even if they were originally created by a different MSDN Subscriber.

Product keys that require activation often provide activations for much more than one machine, if you need to activate something, you should be able to use each of the keys you've already been given multiple times.

Let me know what followup qestions you have Peter, I'll be monitoring this thread.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:21 PM