Install command line tools RRS feed

• Question

• When installing the commercial (full) version of VS there is an option to "Install command line tools". However, when installing the Community version of VS this option does not appear. Does that mean the Community version cannot use command line (CMD) compiling/linking?

• Moved by Hart Wang Thursday, August 18, 2016 2:09 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2016 8:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Malcolm,

as Lana Xu I do not understand what you are looking for.

Visual Studio 2015 also installs the different command prompts that you could start e.g. the developer command prompt. The different command line tools that are installed as part of different products can be called on that prompt.

Or are you looking any other special tool? Through Tools -> Extensions and Updates you can install addons to Visual Studio e.g.

- PowerShell Tools for Visual Studio 2015
    - TFS Power Tools
    - Productivity Power Tools

These can be installed on the commercial versions and also on the community edition.

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Proposed as answer by 宝宝徐 Monday, August 22, 2016 1:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by 宝宝徐 Thursday, August 25, 2016 2:08 AM
    Friday, August 19, 2016 8:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Malcolm Kesson,

thanks for posting here.

This forum is about c++ development. For your case which is more related to vs setup, I will move it to setup forum for better support.

Your understanding and cooperation will be grateful.

Best Regards,

Sera Yu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, August 18, 2016 2:10 AM
  • Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for your post.

For this question, I checked my VS 2015 Professional version, but there is not the "Install command line tools" components in it.

Could you express more detailed information about this tool? like a screenshot would be better.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, August 19, 2016 7:52 AM
  • Hi Malcolm,

as Lana Xu I do not understand what you are looking for.

Visual Studio 2015 also installs the different command prompts that you could start e.g. the developer command prompt. The different command line tools that are installed as part of different products can be called on that prompt.

Or are you looking any other special tool? Through Tools -> Extensions and Updates you can install addons to Visual Studio e.g.

- PowerShell Tools for Visual Studio 2015
    - TFS Power Tools
    - Productivity Power Tools

These can be installed on the commercial versions and also on the community edition.

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Proposed as answer by 宝宝徐 Monday, August 22, 2016 1:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by 宝宝徐 Thursday, August 25, 2016 2:08 AM
    Friday, August 19, 2016 8:14 AM