Keyboard filter issue - unplugging keyboard whilst typing causes issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have noticed an issue possibly related to the keyboard filter in WES7. If I unplug my keyboard at the same time as typing on it, then USB for the whole system is broken until a reboot. By which I mean that devices already plugged in behave weirdly (mouse moves in jerks) and when I plug in a new device (eg the keyboard I just unplugged or a usb stick or anything else) it does not get detected and does not work at all. 

I believe it is related to the keyboard filter because I tested this on the Thin Client template, with no modifications, on a motherboard with no other usb devices plugged in. It does not occur. Then I install the keyboard filter (6.1.7601.17514) manually with pkgmgr:

pkgmgr /ip /m:<path to winemb-keyboard-filter.cab>

After which the issue occurs (sometimes not first time but usually within 3-4 attempts).

I have tried this on two different motherboards with different chipsets, and with different keyboards.

This is particularly an issue for us because our customers often have the system fitted with a KVM which "plugs and unplugs" the keyboard regularly, meaning that this happens quite a lot.

Possibly unrelated but concerning none-the-less is that if I run verifier.exe on kbdfltr.sys, it BSODs as soon as I type something in.

Please let me know if there is any more information I can give. Does this happen on anyone else's install or just mine?

Thanks,

Will

Thursday, August 11, 2016 1:43 PM

All replies

• There was a possible related issue with the keyboard filter not working if you plug in a different keyboard. I think MS fixed this. Did you add all the recent updates?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Thursday, August 11, 2016 3:19 PM
  • Aha! I was aware of that issue and we had applied the fix (KB2685747) but I just looked at the page for it and it mentions that it is superceded by KB3168658 which reads "Where a system becomes unresponsive after a USB keyboard is unplugged and re-plugged back in while holding down a key". V promising, will try that in a sec.

Another question, if a package is added after deployment with pkgmgr as opposed to beforehand in ICE, will it get updated if we then run a system update from within Windows? Or do I need to keep my distribution share updated on my dev machine and include the package using the answer file? I wonder how many other updates have not been applied...

Will

Thursday, August 11, 2016 4:19 PM
  • I don't use pkgmgr. IF I foget something, I will create a config set and use DISM to apply the config set to the image. If a package is missing I always go back to ICE and rebuild just to be sure my automated installer works correctly. It is good practice to keep the catalog update as possible.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Thursday, August 11, 2016 11:40 PM