BACKUP MAINTENANCE PLAN RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I found that most of the backup maintenance plan that the DB has in place are really not working, there were few that worked completely, today it was msg saying log backup problems, I was checking and I found that there are trn files sice January 2015, my question since Im new with DB, what happen if I delete those, I know that solution used here all the time since I have started 2 month ago is shrink the database.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 2:22 AM

Answers

• A database back up task via SQL Server Maintenance Plans - See more at: http://www.sqlshack.com/database-back-up-task-via-sql-server-maintenance-plans/#sthash.NYYq2D7T.dpuf

Hello ,

Can you please check your steps with the below steps of maintenance plans :

http://www.sqlshack.com/database-back-up-task-via-sql-server-maintenance-plans/

I think there will be some gap .

Ahsan Kabir Please remember to click Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. http://www.aktechforum.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 4:17 AM
  • Hello,

I found that most of the backup maintenance plan that the DB has in place are really not working, there were few that worked completely, today it was msg saying log backup problems, I was checking and I found that there are trn files sice January 2015, my question since Im new with DB, what happen if I delete those, I know that solution used here all the time since I have started 2 month ago is shrink the database.

Hi,

If I understand correctly your Maintenance plan(MP) is not working, specifically its not deleting old files. That has always been problem with MP instead I would suggest you to use Ola Hallengren Backup solution. Please read FAQ before proceeding.

About whether you can delete files or not, its hard to say from here. Keep files as per retention policy you have and after that remove all unwanted files

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 4:25 AM
  • Hi Ysabel1111,

If you encounter the issue that SQL Server Maintenance plan doesn’t delete backups, please verify the following thing.

1. Please check that if the file extension is entered correctly in the Maintenance Cleanup Task as described in this blog.
    2. Make sure that the path is simply the path to where your backups are but with a backslash on the end.
    3. Make sure that SQL Server Service account has full access to the root backup folder and all subfolders.

In addition, you can delete the old files if you don't need those bak files anymore. In other words, as long as you are doing current backups of your database, you can delete the old bak files.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 9:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Your backup/restore maintenance plan has to be configured based on RPO and RTO objectives of your business. Find more details about this here.

You haven't specified what the actual problem is. What is not working? Did you checked the SQL Logs? please copy the error to the thread that will give you better answers in the forum.

Don't delete the T-Log backup files, if you do- you will be in trouble as you will loose all the backed up data in those transaction log backup files. depending on the retention policies on your backup's you can set up  another maintenance clean up job that will get rid of the old backups.

Why are you shrinking the databases? This is really bad practice and you can find this here why?

Hope this helps

Thanks

Bhanu

• Edited by bhanu_nz Tuesday, March 24, 2015 2:44 AM
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 2:40 AM
  • A database back up task via SQL Server Maintenance Plans - See more at: http://www.sqlshack.com/database-back-up-task-via-sql-server-maintenance-plans/#sthash.NYYq2D7T.dpuf

Hello ,

Can you please check your steps with the below steps of maintenance plans :

http://www.sqlshack.com/database-back-up-task-via-sql-server-maintenance-plans/

I think there will be some gap .

Ahsan Kabir Please remember to click Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. http://www.aktechforum.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 4:17 AM
  • Hello,

Hi,

If I understand correctly your Maintenance plan(MP) is not working, specifically its not deleting old files. That has always been problem with MP instead I would suggest you to use Ola Hallengren Backup solution. Please read FAQ before proceeding.

About whether you can delete files or not, its hard to say from here. Keep files as per retention policy you have and after that remove all unwanted files

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 4:25 AM
  • I dont do the Shrink is the DB person in charges who always do that ... 

I know is bad but  

Why I can delete those old files.........also I found that the DB is doing backup of the database we use for testing 

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 4:21 PM
  • Hi Ysabel1111,

If you encounter the issue that SQL Server Maintenance plan doesn’t delete backups, please verify the following thing.

1. Please check that if the file extension is entered correctly in the Maintenance Cleanup Task as described in this blog.
    2. Make sure that the path is simply the path to where your backups are but with a backslash on the end.
    3. Make sure that SQL Server Service account has full access to the root backup folder and all subfolders.

In addition, you can delete the old files if you don't need those bak files anymore. In other words, as long as you are doing current backups of your database, you can delete the old bak files.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 9:03 AM