none
Debugging/DOM inspection without Visual Studio RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way I can attach to an installed app for office to do JS debugging and inspect the DOM? I've been using Visual Studio for this throughout development, but I wonder if there is another tool I could use, particularly for 3rd party apps installed through the App store.

Once the API for Excel Online reaches feature parity I will be able to just use the browser dev tools, but right now it's missing formatting APIs that I need.

Ian

Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:05 PM

Answers

• Hi ian.gillis,

As far as I know, we can use Visual Studio and Napa to develop an app for Office and we can only debug the apps when we are developing.

Also we can debug the common web page with iexplore developer tools. So if we started the apps for Office from Office online, I suggest you that debug the web page with  iexplore developer tools.

But if the it the app is started by Office client, since the the web page is embeded in the Office application, we can hardly debug the web page.

>>Once the API for Excel Online reaches feature parity I will be able to just use the browser dev tools, but right now it's missing formatting APIs that I need.<<

If you have any feedback about Internet Explorer, you can submit it from link below:
    Internet Explorer Feedback (IE) Home

>>I wonder if you could attach to the running process with the V8 debugger?<<

If you have any question about using V8 debugger, I suggest that you get support from the official website.

Best regads

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, August 22, 2014 5:29 AM

All replies

• I wonder if you could attach to the running process with the V8 debugger?
    Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:37 PM
  • Hi ian.gillis,

As far as I know, we can use Visual Studio and Napa to develop an app for Office and we can only debug the apps when we are developing.

Also we can debug the common web page with iexplore developer tools. So if we started the apps for Office from Office online, I suggest you that debug the web page with  iexplore developer tools.

But if the it the app is started by Office client, since the the web page is embeded in the Office application, we can hardly debug the web page.

>>Once the API for Excel Online reaches feature parity I will be able to just use the browser dev tools, but right now it's missing formatting APIs that I need.<<

If you have any feedback about Internet Explorer, you can submit it from link below:
    Internet Explorer Feedback (IE) Home

>>I wonder if you could attach to the running process with the V8 debugger?<<

If you have any question about using V8 debugger, I suggest that you get support from the official website.

Best regads

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, August 22, 2014 5:29 AM