none
RDP8 protocol: "Client Refresh Rect PDU" and "Client Suppress Output PDU" commands ([MS-RDPBCGR].pdf) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

As thin client manufacturer we are currently testing our RDP client with the new Win8 Beta server.

We noticed a significant change of "Client Refresh Rect PDU" and "Client Suppress Output PDU" commands ([MS-RDPBCGR].pdf - sections 2.2.11.2 and 2.2.11.3)

With former RDP servers (V4, V5 and V7) two ways are available for forcing the RDP server to send a screen refresh to the client:  
      - "Client Suppress Output PDU" : after the "Turn Off" / "Turn On" commands are sent by the client, a screen refresh is AUTOMATICALLY sent back by the server
      - "Client Refresh Rect PDU": a screen refresh is sent back by the server each time this command is issued by the client

With RDP8 server, the ONLY way to get a screen refresh is sending this group of 3 commands:
      - "Client Suppress Output PDU - Turn Off"
      - "Client Suppress Output PDU - Turn On"
      - "Client Refresh Rect PDU"

So my questions are:
    Is it the definitive Win8 behavior?
    Or the compatibility with former RDP servers will be retreive with a next Win8 server version?

This information is critical because these commands are actually used by our RDP client (for example when the RDP session is minimized/maximized or to handle a local auto-hide taskbar).
    So we need to know if our RDP client must be modified (or not) to fit with the new RDP8 server.

Regards

Vincent
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:33 PM

Answers

• Thank you, Vincent, for testing this so quickly once RC (8400) was released.  I re-engaged the product group on my end.  Can you send me mail to "dochelp (at) microsoft (dot) com" so we can discuss this more off-lime?

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Friday, June 1, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Follow-up to forum...

...This issue was resolved in Windows 8 code.

Thank you Vincent.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Thursday, June 28, 2012 5:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Vincent

Thank you for contacting Microsoft. A member of the Open Specification Team will be in touch soon.

Thanks

Tarun Chopra | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:44 AM
  • Hi Vinvent,

I can help you with this

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:08 AM
  • Thank you, Vincent,
    for reporting this.

This is not an intentional change in behavior from
    down-level operating systems.  The beta release was a snapshot in time
    during the development process.  Work has continued and we believe that
    this issue may have been resolved.

Please retest as soon as the next
    publically-available build becomes available.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:08 PM
  • Thank you for this answer.

Do you have an idea when the next build will be available?
    (I'm sorry if this is not the right forum for this question)

Regards

Vincent

Monday, March 19, 2012 8:30 AM
  • Hi Brian

I downloaded this morning the Win2012 RC version.

And apparently the fix is not included. Could you check and give me a status about this.

In advance, thank you

Vincent

Friday, June 1, 2012 1:02 PM
  • Thank you, Vincent, for testing this so quickly once RC (8400) was released.  I re-engaged the product group on my end.  Can you send me mail to "dochelp (at) microsoft (dot) com" so we can discuss this more off-lime?

Friday, June 1, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Follow-up to forum...

...This issue was resolved in Windows 8 code.

Thank you Vincent.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 5:02 PM
  • Hello,

I have a similar problem. The phenomenon is observable in Windows Server 2012 R2 (Build 9600) with support of Multiple Monitors.

The ONLY way to refresh simultaneously all available screens is sending the group of 3 commands:
      - "Client Suppress Output PDU - Turn Off"
      - "Client Suppress Output PDU - Turn On"
      - "Client Refresh Rect PDU"

Otherwise, (with Client Refresh Rect PDUonly), only the screen at position(0, 0)is refreshed.

Thanks for your help,

Raphael

Monday, May 30, 2016 3:24 PM