none
Predefining tasks and subtasks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I am working in project and project online, and I need your help to figure out if it is possible to create a predefined task with predefines subtasks and resources. 

An example

Make dinner
    Main 2 persons
    Salat 1 person
    Dessert 1 person
    Coffee 1 person

So my pre-defines task (Make dinner) has 4 subtasks (Main, salat, dessert, coffee), and this tasks requires 5 people. 

When my project manager planes the project he will know the "Make-dinner" tasks consists of these subtasks and requires these resources, and it will be the same in all projects (project-online context)

I hope this makes sense, otherwise let me know and i'll try and ellaborate. 

Looking forward for your response!

Kind regards, 

Karen

Thursday, August 18, 2016 12:02 PM

All replies

• Karen,

The first thing that comes to mind is to create your set of tasks and then save that file as a template. Anytime you want to "prepare another dinner", open the template and you're ready to go.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, August 18, 2016 1:33 PM
  • Dear John,

Thank you for your reply. Template is also the only thing i could think of, however wanted to figure out if there was a way to make it more look-up table-ish or if I could import tasks etc...

So if i have, for instance, 10 different tasks; task 1-10, and the combination of these differ from project to project; sometimes i'll do task 1,2,3, other times task 3,4,7 and so on... I know that i could just delete the tasks from the template, but is it instead possible to import (or similar) a task with all sub tasks, resources and duration predefined?

Thank you!

Best, 

Friday, August 19, 2016 8:48 AM
  • Karen,

You could create a custom field with a lookup table that has all the tasks you might need. Then in a new blank file select a task from the lookup table for each task row. Add summaries after the fact. However, in my view that's as much work as simply deleting task rows from a template, but it is "table-ish".

What exactly did you have in mind with the import approach (e.g. import from where)? You could create some type of task list in Excel, for example, and then import those into Project, but that certainly wouldn't be easier nor would it save any time compared to the template/delete approach.

If you really want to get sophisticated you could create a userform with a macro that would allow the user to select tasks from the userform and then create a plan using those selections, a whole lot of complication for what is basically a fairly simple process (i.e. template with deletes). Nonetheless another user had a similar request on a related forum. You can read about it at:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-project/ms-project-using-vba/cf99c9f6-cdd7-4902-ace0-569d94c66571?page=1

John

• Edited by John - Project Friday, August 19, 2016 3:47 PM added reference
    Friday, August 19, 2016 3:26 PM