RS 2008 w/ SQL 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• I have clients that have SQL 2005 installed. I want to take advantage of RS 2008, but my clients won't want to upgrade SQL 2005 right away. Therefore, I think my primary option is to install RS 2008 Express and run it against SQL 2005 database. Will this work? I believe that RS Express only runs against a local database, is that true? In other words, will I be able to download and install SQL 2008 Express w/ Adv. Services, and use the RS instance to run reports against the SQL 2005 data source on a different server?

Michael

Friday, February 8, 2008 7:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

Probably NO....At this time only the regular SQL Server 2008 Express is available and thus only those at Microsoft|SQL Server Product Team etc could fully awnser your question.

According to the SSRS Express documentation for the 05' product..."

• Report data sources must be SQL Server relational databases that run locally in SQL Server Express.
    "

Thus, unless the 08' advanced services product changes this, its a NO.

Derek

Saturday, February 9, 2008 2:23 PM
  • Express Advanced is limited to only local relational database data sources. So you'd have to install it on the same computer as the SQL 2005 servers.

I don't recall how exactly we check that the data source is a SQL Server, but I do believe the check is version agnostic.  So it should work.  You'd have to try it to ensure it will.

-Lukasz

Saturday, February 9, 2008 5:14 PM
  • All replies

• Hi Michael,

Probably NO....At this time only the regular SQL Server 2008 Express is available and thus only those at Microsoft|SQL Server Product Team etc could fully awnser your question.

According to the SSRS Express documentation for the 05' product..."

• Report data sources must be SQL Server relational databases that run locally in SQL Server Express.
      "

Thus, unless the 08' advanced services product changes this, its a NO.

Derek

Saturday, February 9, 2008 2:23 PM
  • Express Advanced is limited to only local relational database data sources. So you'd have to install it on the same computer as the SQL 2005 servers.

I don't recall how exactly we check that the data source is a SQL Server, but I do believe the check is version agnostic.  So it should work.  You'd have to try it to ensure it will.

-Lukasz

Saturday, February 9, 2008 5:14 PM
  • Thanks. I'll have to try this at some point. I'd like to be able to install it on a server with SQL 2005, and still get the advantage of the new reports. Will make my transition easier for existing clients.

Thanks for the answers guys.

Michael

Monday, February 11, 2008 5:18 PM
  •  

This actually pretty easy to do.  Here is scenerio that I used when I couldn't get the entire 2008 CTP to install.

Configure VirtualPC/Server with loopback adapter.

VirtualPC/Server- Install SQL 2008 RS only.  Config RS to use SQL2005 on the host box as the RS database location.  Configure RS2008 reports app config file.  The gotcha on this is probably licensing.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 3:45 PM