none
Adding Plain Text Content Control in a Footer's Conditional Content Fields RRS feed

• Question

• I've developed a template with a footer and added conditional content code fields so the footer shows on the last page of the document regardless of how many pages are in it.  That is working, but the Plain Text Content Controls I included so the user can Click here to enter text isn't working now.  Is there something I need to add to the code to allow the user to enter text in those fields or what else needs to be done?  Your assistance is greatly appreciated, as I am very unfamiliar with code.  Thank you!

Here's the conditional content fields in the template:

{IF {PAGE} = {NUMPAGES} "information for the last page only that includes some plain text content controls" "nothing here because I don't want the other pages to have anything in the footer"}

• Edited by BarbIVCCD Tuesday, March 6, 2018 2:36 PM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 1:00 AM

All replies

• Content controls added to a header or footer are inaccessible unless you open the header or footer for editing. Content controls embedded in a field will also be non-functional unless you expose the field code (e.g. via Shift-F9) for editing.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 2:13 AM
  • Hello BardVCCD,

Has your original issue been resolved? If it has, I would suggest you mark the helpful reply as answer or provide your solution and mark as answer to close this thread. If not, please feel free to let us know your current issue.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 8, 2018 7:21 AM
  • Terry,

Paul Edstein's response explained why I was not able to edit the text in the footer's conditional content field without first clicking Shift + F9, but it did not provide another solution that would be easier for end users of the form.  Therefore, I am still needing advice on how best to create a template with a different footer on the last page that is editable by clicking on fields to edit.  Here is what I would like to add to the footer for end users to edit:

Adopted:  (date selected from a calendar)

Reviewed: (date selected from a calendar) 

Legal Reference:  (field for typing that could be more than one line of text)

Revisions Adopted:  (field for typing that could be more than one line of text)

Your assistance in providing ideas for a solution is appreciated. 

Thank you,

BarbIVCCD

Monday, April 2, 2018 8:02 PM
  • If it's permissible to have the content referred to in your last post appear in content controls somewhere in the body of the document, you could apply unique Style names to each of those content control ranges (e.g. Styles named 'AdoptDate', 'RevDate', 'LegalRef', 'RevAdopted'), you could use STYLEREF fields in the last-page field coding to refer to each of those Styles, thus replicating their content. For example:

{IF{PAGE}={NUMPAGES} "Adopted: {STYLEREF AdoptDate} Reviewed: {STYLEREF RevDate} Legal Reference: {STYLEREF LegalRef} Revisions Adopted: {STYLEREF RevAdopted}"}

including whatever line breaks you need between entries. That way, your users wouldn't even need to open the footer.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, April 2, 2018 9:52 PM
  • Unfortunately, I am very much a novice when it comes to using these features in Word and therefore do not understand the instructions regarding how users can add information in the body of the document that will display in the footer on the last page of the document only.  I've asked four professors at our institution who teach Microsoft Office classes, and they were not able provide a solution, so I'm at a loss as to what to do next.  I've attached a JPEG of what I'm hoping will be the end result, but maybe what I really need is to take an advanced course in Word so I can figure this out.  Thank you for your assistance.

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 9:01 PM
  • It really is as simple as following the instructions I posted... As I said, though, the solution is only applicable:

If it's permissible to have the content referred to in your last post appear in content controls somewhere in the body of the document

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by BarbIVCCD Thursday, April 5, 2018 4:25 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by BarbIVCCD Thursday, April 5, 2018 4:25 PM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2018 10:32 PM
  • Paul,

Thank you very much for your assistance.  We would not want the content controls in the body, so I'm going to Plan B which is to include everything in the footer that will then be on each page of the document. 

Best regards,

BarbIVCCD

Thursday, April 5, 2018 4:24 PM