locked
MediaElement causes MF_MEDIA_ENGINE_ERR_DECODE after plying couple of seconds

    Question

  • Hi,

    I am doing progressive download with my server support in my metro app.

    Once I receive 1MB data and written to my music file I start playing by using SetSource in my code (XAML has MediaElement with AutoPlay=True.)

    It start playing successfully . 

    This file will progressively updated with next 1MB chunks till download is completed. 

    I receive MF_MEDIA_ENGINE_ERR_DECODE  at the same place for all files.(Same place means file A at 15 secs means for this file always at 15 secs while for file B at 10 secs means for this file always at 10 secs).

    Cases tried: 

    1) My file download keeps going even after MF_MEDIA_ENGINE_ERR_DECODE  error and I get complete playable file. I am able to play this file from Windows Kit->topoedit.exe.

    2) I am able to play this file with Windows Media Player without any problem.

    3) I tried starting my app MediaElemt SetSource (to start playing) after 3MB data download is complete. Again is starts playing but fails at the same position i.e say after 15 secs. 

    In 3rd point above , since I started playing after 3MB download my download completes even before the player stops (i.e at same position)with above mentioned error code. (in short player continues playing even after download completes but fails at the same position.).

    Please suggest

    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 8:00 AM

Answers

  • Hello,

    The standard local file source used by the Media Element when you set the "source" to a local URI does not support progressive download. To support progressive download you will need to either create a custom network aware source or use the in box network source that supports Microsoft's HTTP streaming and RTSP.

    I hope this helps,

    James


    Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 8:14 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Is the playing catching up to the downloaded? ERR_DECODE suggests that the data in the buffer is not valid when it's being read.

    I'll have our media guru take a look at this to see if he can make suggestions on how best to progressively download music.

    --Rob

    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:50 AM
    Owner
  • hi Rob,

    No, playing doesn't catches till downloaded data.

    it fails exactly at same place as explained above.



    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 7:12 AM
  • Hello,

    The standard local file source used by the Media Element when you set the "source" to a local URI does not support progressive download. To support progressive download you will need to either create a custom network aware source or use the in box network source that supports Microsoft's HTTP streaming and RTSP.

    I hope this helps,

    James


    Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 8:14 PM
    Moderator