[About Dlna] Get StorageFiles / StorageFolders from DMS and save metadate in DB for later access

Question

• Right now i have a user scenerio that our develop team wishes to accomplish :

a) Parsing folders level by level in a DMS to get folders which contain files. --> ok

b) Save these StorageFolders / StorageFiles information into a Database.

1) I suppose it is no way to get a path from a StorageFile / StorageFolder if they are from MediaServer.

My question is : Is it possible to save metadata and turn it back to StorageFile/ StorageFolder later? (for example , could  I get necessary information or metadata from StorageFile / StorageFolder, and write into a DB. Later through the data from DB, i can turn back to  StorageFiles/StorageFolders?)

2)I know there is "Windows.Storage.AccessCache Classes" cache list that we could use to keep StorageFiles/ StorageFolders up to 1000 items, but the capacity for each App is not sufficient for us since contetns in DMS may exceed 1000 folders/files.

Any good ideas?

Monday, September 24, 2012 8:08 AM

Answers

• Hello Mike,

Here are the answers to your questions.

Q) Is it possible to save metadata and turn it back to StorageFile/ StorageFolder later?

A) Currently the only way to take a URL returned by a StorageFile and access it later is to use the AccessCache.

If you want to access and database the file content on a remote DMS you will need to bypass the Microsoft implementation and create your own UPnP / DLNA implementation.

I hope this helps,

James

Windows Media SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:44 PM