POS for .NET with Smartcard reader for EMV RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone familiar with new PCI and EMV requirements for credit and debit cards elaborate on how this will work with POS for .NET?

I have looked into this briefly and it appears that many (most?) payment gateways are switching to an approach that uses a middleware component that takes full control of the POS hardware device (MSR or smartcard readers) and the traditional POS system does not have code that directly accesses the hardware anymore.  In my mind, this means that POS for .NET as far as the MSR or SmartCard reader is obsolete since most commercial gateways will not use POS for .NET code.

Am I missing something here, or is this the future direction for payments processing of credit and debit cards?  In other words, we will now just call the middleware and then get a token back and some indication whether the transaction was successful or not so that POS systems will never see or directly handle the credit card information?

Thanks.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 9:04 PM

All replies

• I have seen the gateways used here that send data directly to the payment center and send the token back. There are still system her in the USA that do the traditional POS swipe, but this will change over time.

The POS for .NET card swipe is still good for security card solutions.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Friday, July 24, 2015 3:05 AM
    Answerer
  • If you will find a device category close to the smartcard reader for EMV in POS for.NET/OPOS, I think CAT(Credit Authorization Terminal) device is similar.
    It would be good direction to not have the data relating to the security into the POS terminal.

But, if specially credit card information is required, it is also possible to ask the vendor to use the DirectIO method or AdditionalSecurityInformation property.

• Edited by Kunif3 Friday, September 25, 2015 1:34 PM
    Friday, September 25, 2015 1:33 PM