Where do I find SPN RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I am trying to create a form using Adobe Acrobat Pro X I want some of the data to come from our sql database.  I can connect to to but in order to have a trusted connection it wants an SPN and I have never dealth with that before so I dont have any idea where to find that information.
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:24 PM

Answers

• Kerberos uses an identifier named "Service Principal Name" (SPN). Consider an SPN as a domain or forest unique identifier of some instance in a network server resource. You can have an SPN for a Web service, for an SQL service, or for an SMTP service. You can also have multiple Web service instances on the same physical computer that has a unique SPN.

An SPN for SQL Server is composed of the following elements:
    • ServiceClass: This identifies the general class of service. This is always MSSQLSvc for SQL Server.
    • Host: This is the fully qualified domain name DNS of the computer that is running SQL Server.
    • Port: This is the port number that the service is listening on.
    For example, a typical SPN for a computer that is running SQL Server is:
    MSSQLSvc/SQLSERVER1.northamerica.corp.mycompany.com:1433

The format of an SPN for a default instance and the format of an SPN for a named instance are not different. The port number is what ties the SPN to a particular instance.

You can find out more here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811889

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Friday, July 15, 2011 4:47 AM

All replies

• Kerberos uses an identifier named "Service Principal Name" (SPN). Consider an SPN as a domain or forest unique identifier of some instance in a network server resource. You can have an SPN for a Web service, for an SQL service, or for an SMTP service. You can also have multiple Web service instances on the same physical computer that has a unique SPN.

An SPN for SQL Server is composed of the following elements:
    • ServiceClass: This identifies the general class of service. This is always MSSQLSvc for SQL Server.
    • Host: This is the fully qualified domain name DNS of the computer that is running SQL Server.
    • Port: This is the port number that the service is listening on.
    For example, a typical SPN for a computer that is running SQL Server is:
    MSSQLSvc/SQLSERVER1.northamerica.corp.mycompany.com:1433

The format of an SPN for a default instance and the format of an SPN for a named instance are not different. The port number is what ties the SPN to a particular instance.

You can find out more here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811889

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Friday, July 15, 2011 4:47 AM