none
Report building VS2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new at .net, C# and I have built an application in visual studio 2008 with SQL Sever 2005 Express.  I need to start my reporting process now.  I need some example's and advice on how to do this.  I have built simple reports with the Microsoft Report Viewer in VS 2008.  I need a more complex report to provide the user a search on one field in my table to retrieve the report detail.  The report layout needs to have a header showing the search criteria and below the detail consisting of about 25 fields on a 81/2 by 11 paper.   The report wizard looks to only allow me to select tabular or matrix.  Is there a WSYIWIG designer for report building.  Any help in getting me started will be appreciated. 

Is there easy way to just print the entire content of a windows form keeping the same format of the form?

Thanks,

Ron  

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 8:32 PM

Answers

• well it's all about space and readability.  Personally I have a few reports with 30+ fields, and what I do is I make the table about 10 columns wide and then I add two more detail rows, and two more header rows.....to do this, just right click on the header or detail row tab on the far lefft of the table object and choose add row.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 7:39 PM

All replies

•  

Quite a few large questions you got there....are you using .RDL or  .RDLC files,    I'm not sure of the capabilities of SQL 2005 express, so I'm not sure if using .RDL is even possible with that.

in an RDLC, my advice would be as follows.

When thinking of reports, think of them as merely a tool to display whatever data you hand to them.  So how you go about getting data from the database is not really there job at all.  The report just wants you  to hand it a datasource that way it can match it up to the fields and display the values.

So, if your user needs to search on one table, your considerations in this regard should be mostly independent of the reportviewer.  You should consider how you want to handle data access in your application in general, and mold your reportviewer around whatever concept you choose.

The easiest thing I could say would be to create a stored procedure designed to handle the users request, and then return that data to an object your comfortable with, be it a datatable or whatever....and then hand that object to your report.

In regards to showing stuff in the header, I'd probably just pass it in as a parameter.  Since headers and footers can't directly display stuff from the datasources. 

Of course, if your using a .RDL, then most of what I said really isn't worth much heh.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:44 PM
  • Thanks,  I have used the .rdlc to build some small summary reports.  Is there away to build a one page report with about 30 fields on it? similar to a invoice.  I don't see away to build a report with a large number of fields placed on a 1 page document.  

Thanks,

Ron 

Thursday, May 22, 2008 7:36 PM
  • well it's all about space and readability.  Personally I have a few reports with 30+ fields, and what I do is I make the table about 10 columns wide and then I add two more detail rows, and two more header rows.....to do this, just right click on the header or detail row tab on the far lefft of the table object and choose add row.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 7:39 PM
  • Thanks,  works perfect.  Sorry for the stupid question, just lack of knowledge at this time.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 10:50 PM
  • Have you ever had error? "Error creating windows handle" 

It occurs when I try to open the .RDLC file.

Thanks,

Ron

Friday, May 23, 2008 1:13 PM