Retry for Job Manager Tasks that rely on the (apparently buggy) AZ_BATCH_JOB_PREP_WORKING_DIR env variable? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Job Manager Task that is relying on AZ_BATCH_JOB_PREP_WORKING_DIR being set... and sometimes it isn't... but that is a seperate issue. (I do have a job prep task assigned to this job as well, it just sometimes the AZ_BATCH_JOB_PREP_WORKING_DIR isn't set for tasks... I've seen this happen A LOT).

Anyway, the manager gets an exit code of 1, and is has a retry count of 2, however the job simply ends, and the requeue count for the manager task stays at 0.

The manager task is the only task in the job at this point (I need to setup some stuff first, then it will spawn more tasks). Is the job ending because I have the "complete on job manager task completion" bit set? Is there a way around this?

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 3:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Cory,

When "killJobOnCompletion" is on, the job will be completed when the Job Manager completes or the max retry reaches. In your case, the retry count is 2, which reaches the max retry count (2 in your case), so that the job completed automatically.

For the issue of environmental variable "AZ_BATCH_JOB_PREP_WORKING_DIR", we've found an issue and will provide a fix as soon as posible. Thanks!

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 7:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Cory,

We are currently investigating this issue. In order to speed up our investigation, would you please provide more information of your case, such as your account region, account name and job details? Thanks!

Saturday, January 9, 2016 1:22 AM
  • East US

https://simiobatchacct.eastus.batch.azure.com

Job id: runreps-3-4-1051-d-f4KCMRzku9QN7eh0EClg

Monday, January 11, 2016 7:58 PM
  • Hi Cory,

When "killJobOnCompletion" is on, the job will be completed when the Job Manager completes or the max retry reaches. In your case, the retry count is 2, which reaches the max retry count (2 in your case), so that the job completed automatically.

For the issue of environmental variable "AZ_BATCH_JOB_PREP_WORKING_DIR", we've found an issue and will provide a fix as soon as posible. Thanks!

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 7:25 PM
  • Hi Cory,

We recently released the fix the environmental variable issue. Please let us know is the issue still exists. Thanks!

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:01 PM
  • Fantastic! I'll keep an eye out and let you know!
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 9:27 PM