Custom Web Tests Data Binding for VS2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I have read the blog Custom Data Binding in Web Tests

However, that's for VS 2005, and have many problems: 

• amit.tyagi said that it only picks up first row for VS2008
    • sagivh said that you have to guess the number of rows will be returned by the plugin, then you have to edit run settings to reflect that
    • Richard said that It works fine as long as executing it in one agent but not when multiple agents is used.

All these comments make the blog just a proof of concept, not applicable for my multiple agents load testing at all. 

As Jason pointed out, the better method for custom DataSource in VS.NET/Team Test 2010 is to inherit from Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.WebTesting.DataSource, but "it doesn't seem to possible". 

Any update on this after ~6 years? 

Thanks

Friday, November 16, 2012 4:41 PM

All replies

• Hello Smetah,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

You issue is from the blog about custom data binding in web test written by Sean Lumley. I am afraid that it is out of support range of VS testing forum.

To help you resolve this issue, I suggest you post your issue in that blog, I think you would get better suggestions from Sean Lumley.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, November 19, 2012 2:35 AM
  • You issue is from the blog about custom data binding in web test written by Sean Lumley. I am afraid that it is out of support range of VS testing forum.

That is a very strange attitude. 

My question is on how to Customize Web Tests Data Binding for VS2010, i.e., how to use a plain SQL or SP as data source BTW, I use the blog only to show that I've done my homework.

VS testing should provide the capability to use a plain SQL or SP as data source, a feature that was in need and asked for more than 6 years ago. 

PS. If you don't know the answer, please don't feel obligated to say something with my question. I'd rather wait for someone who knows. 

Thanks

• Edited by smetah Monday, November 19, 2012 3:04 AM
    Monday, November 19, 2012 2:54 AM
  • Hello Smetah,

I am so sorry for having misunderstood your intent.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:05 AM
  • NP. Thanks a lot for your help.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:43 PM
  • Out of the box VS 2012 does not provide support for data binging for plain SQL or SP.

Have you tested the code provided in Sean Lumley's Blog?

What is the error you get?

Even though the code provided in the blog is not supported we might be able to assist if you provide more specifics about the errors you get.

Thank you

Monday, December 3, 2012 3:37 AM
  • Hi,

once go through the link

http://enzosqlbaseline.codeplex.com/

it may be useful

Himanshu Mehta

Monday, December 3, 2012 6:57 AM
  • Have you tested the code provided in Sean Lumley's Blog?

What is the error you get?

Even though the code provided in the blog is not supported we might be able to assist if you provide more specifics about the errors you get.

Thanks Teodora, 

The problem with the code from the blog:

- it only picks up first row
    - you have to guess the number of rows will be returned by the plugin, then you have to edit run settings to reflect that
    - It only works for one agent but not when multiple agents is used.

These are all design issues. Not some tiny error bug fixes. 

I.e., this 6-year old implementation geared only towards VS 2005 was already outdated 3 years ago, and no longer suitable for VS newer than 2008. 

Thanks 

Monday, December 3, 2012 2:47 PM
  • Hi,

once go through the link

http://enzosqlbaseline.codeplex.com/

it may be useful

Thanks Himanshu, but I want to stick to MS Test. 
    Monday, December 3, 2012 2:48 PM
  • Even though the code provide in the blog is old it should work.

Please be advised that we do not support code solution provided on blogs – even Microsoft blogs.

From looking thru the code – it should handle multiple rows

Can you please upload your test solution? I will be happy to test it.

Thank you

Monday, December 3, 2012 11:55 PM
  • Hi,

• Random access. In random access mode, the data source is accessed randomly in an endless loop cycle. Typical business scenarios involving random access might include generating a load that does not follow any particular order, or creating requests where there is an uneven distribution of users for the data entries in the data sources—for example, an orders scenario where users are consuming product information about computers—so one specific data feed can be used in the load test. If multiple agents are used, each will receive a full copy of the data source, which does not guarantee that requests from different agents will be unique.
    • Sequential. In this mode, the data source is accessed sequentially in a loop cycle. Typical business scenarios involving sequential access might include generating a load that obeys a sequential request from the data source. If multiple agents are used, each will receive a full copy of the data source, which does not guarantee that requests from different agents will be unique.

Pls. go through this content,it will be helpful

Himanshu Mehta

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 6:59 AM
  • Hi,

Pls. go through the link

http://apmblog.compuware.com/2009/06/30/randomizing-input-data-for-visual-studio-load-tests/

http://perftesting.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=How%20To:%20Use%20Data%20Binding%20in%20Load%20Tests%20in%20Microsoft%20Visual%20Studio%20Team%20System

Himanshu Mehta

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 7:05 AM
  • Hi Himanshu,

Thanks for your keen help. But I'm still a bit wondering if you have understood my question. 

As Teodora put, "Out of the box VS 2012 does not provide support for data binding for plain SQL or SP", however I need to define my source data with plain SQL or SP. 

Hope it clears. 

Thanks

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:25 PM
  • Thanks Teodora, I'll get back to you. 
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:26 PM
  • Even though the code provide in the blog is old it should work.

Please be advised that we do not support code solution provided on blogs – even Microsoft blogs.

From looking thru the code – it should handle multiple rows

Can you please upload your test solution? I will be happy to test it.

Thank you

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:34 AM
  • From looking thru the code – it should handle multiple rows

Even though it can handle multiple rows, the other design flaws are still there.

- you have to guess the number of rows will be returned by the plugin, then you have to edit run settings to reflect that
    - It only works for one agent but not when multiple agents is used.

this 6-year old implementation geared only towards VS 2005 was already outdated 3 years ago, and no longer suitable for VS newer than 2008. 

Working on something that I knew is not working, that's something I hesitate to spend my time on, because I don't have the knowledge to fix them and there is no support for it. 

I'd rather wait for a proper solution for it. 

Thanks

• Edited by smetah Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:23 PM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:22 PM
  • Can you please upload your test solution? I will be happy to test it.

The test solution is right there in the blog. Please go ahead and test it. 

Thanks

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:24 PM