Can i add another sql database? RRS feed

• Question

• User-226425691 posted

HI i am running the personal web starter site and have managed to fill up the personal sql database even with compressing photos before uploading, is it possible to add another one? What i had in mind was if so to create databases for the years, so 2006 2007 2008 etc. then when a user goes to the albums page he can select a database / year.

Im no expert and dont even know if this is possible, Apologies if this topic has been covered before i tried a search but couldnt find anything related.

Thanks Mark

Monday, February 25, 2008 1:56 PM

All replies

• User626048209 posted

Hi,

From VS,

Just click on the server explorer and then right clik on the default db then add an other db

Mark as answer ifit solved your problem

Monday, February 25, 2008 8:00 PM
  • User-226425691 posted
    Sorry i didn't really make my self that clear, i have databases created with the tables etc found in the personal.mdf, what i was trying to say is how much work would it be to create a new connection to be able to use as many databases as i liked but the user able to choose a year in the albums page, each year would represent a different database. I know i would have to find a way from the admin pages to upload to the correct database im hoping you can map a dropdown box or something. would this be possible

Thanks Mark
    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 3:14 PM
  • User626048209 posted

I wont be able to help you on that,

all I can tell is that you like headaches, unless you have a very good reason to; you should use 1 db even on the hosting server it will slow you.

Best

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:11 PM
  • User-1833980242 posted

There might be some T-SQL statements that can be used to alter the maxsize of the database. This is a guess but probably worth looking into. 

Another solution would be to build a new db that would allow a larger maximum size. Then use this new one for your project. These are the properties that you can change when building a new one. Setting the maxsize to  number that you think will allow enough room for future growth should do it. The numbers here are only  for illustration purposes.

SIZE = 5MB, MAXSIZE = 100MB, FILEGROWTH = 5MB

If you do a search on how to script a SQL Server database using T-SQL you will see the properties that I listed above. It is actually very easy to do. There is one thing that i can think of that will be a problem. I think it will be pretty easy to overcome if you are careful though. You want to make sure the you naming convention for the tables, columns and your datatypes are the same as the one that came packaged with the Starter Kit. Otherwise the sql statements won't work

-hth 

Sunday, March 23, 2008 1:44 PM
  • User-319574463 posted

> I know i would have to find a way from the admin pages to upload to the correct database im hoping you can map a dropdown box or something. would this be possible

All the data should be in the same database, unless the volume of data is such that the the database has to be split.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 3:13 PM
  • User-319574463 posted

If your question has been answered, please mark the post as closed.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 10:11 AM