none
How to get master appointment of a recurring series in mail app RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

is there any way to get access of master appointment in recurring appointment?  or is it like opening an appointment as series will be treated as master appointment.

Also I need to set a custom properties on master appointment(setting cutom property on excah occurencewill make the excption) , but I also want that if I edit  the single occurrence or exceptions then that custom property should be available. i want to set the same custom property value in each case, no matter whether its a master or single occurrence or exception

is it possible through mail app?

Thanks

Monday, July 21, 2014 1:45 PM

Answers

• Hi George,

Thanks for the clarifications.

I give it one more try , I think you have to do a EWS operation. Because right now there is nothing in API which can tell you whether its a master or occurrence.

i found that When you make a call to EWS ,depending on how you are editing the recurring appointment(occurrence or series), the response returned tells you which type of item its is , By Reading  <CalendarItemType> we can know whether its a master appointment or occurrence or exception and once you open appointment as a series,  we will know its a master appointment and then custom properties can be set on it and then it will be automatically shared with all the occurrences. 

That's how i am going to resolve my problem. I hope this will help everyone else.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 10:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>is there any way to get access of master appointment in recurring appointment?<<

Do you want to find the entire series?

If so, there is no way to find the master apointment through JavaScript API for Office (v1.1) and Appointment object (JavaScript API for Office v1.1).

Another point is to call EWS reference for Exchange. But according to Call web services from a mail app for Outlook, there are only a few methods we can call and there is no such method we can call to get the master appointment.

I would suggest you submitting feedback for apps for Office:

http://officespdev.uservoice.com/

>>Also I need to set a custom properties on master appointment(setting cutom property on excah occurencewill make the excption)<<

Please follow the articles below to add a custom property:

How to: Persist metadata for the same Outlook item in a mailbox using custom properties

Save item-specific metadata as custom properties in Outlook

Hope this helps.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 6:57 AM
  • Hi George,

Thanks for the clarifications.

I give it one more try , I think you have to do a EWS operation. Because right now there is nothing in API which can tell you whether its a master or occurrence.

i found that When you make a call to EWS ,depending on how you are editing the recurring appointment(occurrence or series), the response returned tells you which type of item its is , By Reading  <CalendarItemType> we can know whether its a master appointment or occurrence or exception and once you open appointment as a series,  we will know its a master appointment and then custom properties can be set on it and then it will be automatically shared with all the occurrences. 

That's how i am going to resolve my problem. I hope this will help everyone else.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 10:13 AM