none
Custom UI Editor Mystery RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

The Custom UI Editor is a very nice tool and when I discovered there was a recent, new version I was convinced that the "jumping cursor" problem would have been fixed.

You'll know what I mean - the problem that as soon as there is a screenful of text the cursor continuously jumps to the bottom of the screen when editing. Very annoying and the only editor I've seen behaving like this.

This is very basic misbehavior for an editor. It's like building a car and discovering that it starts misfiring every time you're a mile on the way of your journey. You wouldn't want to live with that and would want to improve your design immediately.

To me it's a mystery why this very basic issue hasn't been fixed yet - after several years. If nothing else you would think it had driven the developer him/herself crazy from the first moment? :-) Surely one would fix this even before releasing the tool? Building an editor isn't exactly a new and unexplored field either?

Are there any plans in this area? I'm sure you would make lots of people very happy!

Best regards,

Willy

Sunday, January 16, 2011 5:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Willy

My mistake, it's openxmldeveloper.org.

My feelings parallel yours, but I very much doubt those responsible for the tools frequent these forums. If any forum, then the OpenXML SDK forum... But sadly support in these forums was farmed out to a special team a year or so ago, so the product teams don't spend as much time reading posts as they used to.

You'll find my comment about the namespace on this page http://openxmldeveloper.org/articles/customuieditor.aspx and that's also where I was able (some months later) to download the updated tool. But there was never any announcement about it and, as you can see, the text on this page doesn't even mention Office 2010. The text at http://openxmldeveloper.org/archive/2009/08/07/7293.aspx mtaches better, but it's archived and I've no idea if that download is actually up-to-date.

Your (our) concern about the editor is also commented on by "Major Walrus" in July 2010. Best would probably be to post an additional short comment, to emphasize the wish for the functionality. I'm guessing the "author" is notified when new comments are posted, will note the request(s) and, when time allows, might do something about it. I think that's the best you can hope for.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Monday, January 24, 2011 10:02 AM
    Monday, January 17, 2011 2:54 PM

All replies

• First I have heard of that issue and I have (of course) never experienced it my self in countless uses of the Editor.

We do hear of similar problems with people using laptop computers with touchpad mouse things that are caused by the touch pad being oversensitive or the user inadvertently brushing the touchpad as they type.

Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"Willyv55" wrote in message news:8bae8cae-175f-4c8b-b616-f354a1858e70@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi,

The Custom UI Editor is a very nice tool and when I discovered there was a recent, new version I was convinced that the "jumping cursor" problem would have been fixed.

You'll know what I mean - the problem that as soon as there is a screenful of text the cursor continuously jumps to the bottom of the screen when editing. Very annoying and the only editor I've seen behaving like this.

This is very basic misbehavior for an editor. It's like building a car and discovering that it starts misfiring every time you're a mile on the way of your journey. You wouldn't want to live with that and would want to improve your design immediately.

To me it's a mystery why this very basic issue hasn't been fixed yet - after several years. If nothing else you would think it had driven the developer him/herself crazy from the first moment? :-) Surely one would fix this even before releasing the tool? Building an editor isn't exactly a new and unexplored field either?

Are there any plans in this area? I'm sure you would make lots of people very happy!

Best regards,

Willy

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 9:06 PM
  • We do hear of similar problems with people using laptop computers with touchpad mouse things that are caused by the touch pad being oversensitive or the user inadvertently brushing the touchpad as they type.

Well, I actually have a laptop with a touchpad but this problem can be reproduced without touching the mouse or pad or even going near it:

1. In a sufficiently long file move the cursor to the bottom of the editor screen.

2. Scroll the the text down with the scrollbar so that the cursor is now in the upper half of the screen.

3. Type a space or any other character.

The text and the cursor with it will now immediately jump down to the bottom of the screen.

The book "RibbonX" by Martin, Puls and Hennig (recommended, by the way) agrees:

"When working on files that have more lines of XML than will fit on the screen, the Custom UI Editor has an annoying habit of refreshing the screen so that your cursor is always on the last line of the screen."

Of course this doesn't prove that laptops or touchpads have nothing to do with this, but certainly inadvertent user behavior can be eliminated as a cause. If the program indeed has a problem running on laptops with touchpads it should be quite easy finding the reason and fixing it.

Willy

• Edited by Willyv55 Sunday, January 16, 2011 11:01 PM spelling
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 10:58 PM
  • OK, I do have that book, but haven't read it cover to cover and I guess that the XML that has been required for all of the customizations that I have done has not been extensive enough for me to experience the problem.

I stand corrected.

Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"Willyv55" wrote in message news:10a35857-584f-4ef3-a361-507a35b4d915@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

We do hear of similar problems with people using laptop computers with touchpad mouse things that are caused by the touch pad being oversensitive or the user inadvertently brushing the touchpad as they type.

Well, I actually have a laptop with a touchpad but this problem can be reproduced without touching the mouse or pad or even going near it:

1. In a sufficiently long file move the cursor to the bottom of the editor screen.

2. Scroll the the text down with the scrollbar so that the cursor is now in the upper half of the screen.

3. Type a space or any other character.

The text and the cursor with it will now immediately jump down to the bottom of the screen.

The book "RibbonX" by Martin, Puls and Hennig (recommended, by the way) agrees:

"When working on files that have more lines of XML than will fit on the screen, the Custom UI Editor has an annoying habit of refreshing the screen so that your cursor is always on the last line of the screen."

Of course this doesn't prove that laptops or touchpads have nothing to do with this, but certainly inadvertent user behavior can be eliminated as a cause. If the program indeed has a problem running on laptops with touchpads it should be quite easy finding the reason and fixing it.

Willy

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 11:32 PM
  • The Custom UI Editor is a free tool that provides a basic facility for editing custom UIs.

If you don't like it, don't use it; if you think you can do better, do so. If you have comments, raise them in the forums at openxmldeveloper.org; I'll grant that is a bit like a ghost town, but it is still the appropriate place. Complaining here just seems churlish and childish.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Monday, January 17, 2011 9:46 AM
  • Hi Willy

FWIW I see it whenever the length of the XML is longer than the screen can handle - and I'm not using a laptop. I agree that it's a shortcoming of this freeware. But, as elsewhere stated, it is freeware. I believe the download page on Codeplex has a section for Comments. That would probably be the best place to voice your wish for an improvement.

I believe the Tool is something some MS people did in their "free time", as an exercise with new technology and a (unsupported) service for "power users". But it's not a true product, so any improvements / changes would also fall in the category of "service". But it did (finally) get up-graded from the beta namespace to the RTM namespace, so it's possible it might actually get done... :-)

Monday, January 17, 2011 9:57 AM
  • Hi Cindy,

Thanks for your suggestions. However, I was unable to find Custom UI Editor at Codeplex. Possibly you had another site in mind or I have looked in the wrong places. The status upgrade is interesting and I would like to know more about that.

I'm well aware that this is a free tool and as I mentioned I really like it, use it and appreciate that is has been developed. But there is one annoying side to it so I came here with a wish and a hope that it could be fixed. That would lift it from great to excellent and would delight many users. It's almost there! :-)

Willy

Monday, January 17, 2011 1:50 PM
  • The Custom UI Editor is a free tool that provides a basic facility for editing custom UIs.

If you don't like it, don't use it; if you think you can do better, do so. If you have comments, raise them in the forums at openxmldeveloper.org; I'll grant that is a bit like a ghost town, but it is still the appropriate place. C omplaining here just seems churlish and childish.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com

Hi Tony,

On-topic: Yes, I started out at openxmldeveloper.org but found no help there. The forums have very little activity and the few comments that were attached to the Custom UI Editor downloads have not been answered. The room may have the correct label on the door but there's nobody in it.

Microsoft recommends the Custom UI Editor in its essential articles on the Ribbon. They also provide many examples on using it and I understand the tool itself has been written by a Microsoft employee, possibly in his own time.

Therefore it doesn't seem particularly farfetched to me to walk over to the General Office Development Forum with hopes of meeting somebody who knows something about the UI Editor. And remember, that is what this is: a meeting place . I'm fully aware that I haven't come to Microsoft's Customer Service Department and that this is a free tool.

I came here to state that I really like this tool, to wonder why a fundamental problem hasn't been fixed for so long and to hope that it will be. I can't think of a better place to come. If you want to meet people you have to go where they meet, not to empty rooms.

Off-topic: I disagree with your other suggestions. Why should I just walk away sulking because there's one aspect with this tool I don't like? People in general aren't either "with us or against us". Most things aren't black or white. Since I really like the Custom UI Editor I'd much rather try for an improvement than abandon it. It's almost there.

And is it really your opinion that you're not allowed to point out a weakness in anything if you can't do better yourself? If that opinion was generally enforced I'm afraid we wouldn't make much progress...

I'm quite good at a few things but there is an enormous amount of fields others know much better than me. In my experience most people welcome suggestions for improvement on things they care about and have spent time on, even from people who don't think they can do better.

I expect Custom UI Editor's developer feels the same but of course he or she may not have the time to spend on this. Being a free tool I fully respect that.

But large amounts of free applications are being continually improved through feedback like this, and if you don't make your wishes known there's not much chance of having them granted. :-)

Lastly you may want to ask yourself "What is it in me that I wish to suggest to a complete stranger that his way of approaching this is churlish and childish?".

Such characterizations are very hard to do in a fair way even with people that are close to one, so I was a bit surprised. Especially coming from a professional like yourself in a professional forum. That said, I'm not the least offended and actually quite proud of my childish sides. :-)

Best,

Willy

• Edited by Willyv55 Monday, January 17, 2011 2:30 PM Language
    Monday, January 17, 2011 2:21 PM
  • Hi Willy

My feelings parallel yours, but I very much doubt those responsible for the tools frequent these forums. If any forum, then the OpenXML SDK forum... But sadly support in these forums was farmed out to a special team a year or so ago, so the product teams don't spend as much time reading posts as they used to.

You'll find my comment about the namespace on this page http://openxmldeveloper.org/articles/customuieditor.aspx and that's also where I was able (some months later) to download the updated tool. But there was never any announcement about it and, as you can see, the text on this page doesn't even mention Office 2010. The text at http://openxmldeveloper.org/archive/2009/08/07/7293.aspx mtaches better, but it's archived and I've no idea if that download is actually up-to-date.

Your (our) concern about the editor is also commented on by "Major Walrus" in July 2010. Best would probably be to post an additional short comment, to emphasize the wish for the functionality. I'm guessing the "author" is notified when new comments are posted, will note the request(s) and, when time allows, might do something about it. I think that's the best you can hope for.

• Marked as answer by Bruce Song Monday, January 24, 2011 10:02 AM
    Monday, January 17, 2011 2:54 PM
  • Hi Willy

You'll find my comment about the namespace on this page http://openxmldeveloper.org/articles/customuieditor.aspx  and that's also where I was able (some months later) to download the updated tool. But there was never any announcement about it and, as you can see, the text on this page doesn't even mention Office 2010. The text at http://openxmldeveloper.org/archive/2009/08/07/7293.aspx  mtaches better, but it's archived and I've no idea if that download is actually up-to-date.

Hi Cindy,

Many thanks for your time and constructive suggestions!

"MajorWalrus" nicely sums up my own reason for coming here with this issue:

" Again, thank you for this tool. My only aim with these comments is to help you make it even better."

Best,

Willy

Monday, January 17, 2011 4:11 PM
  • Hi Willy,

My apologies - perhaps my tone was stronger than intended, but your comments (even the title) seemed unnecessarily harsh for what has been provided 'as is' and free for the benefit of the community.

I did say openxmldeveloper.org was a bit like a ghost town, but it is still the appropriate forum! Whilst you can discuss the editor here with anyone who cares to join in, you won't actually be able to get any resolution here; feedback regarding a product (free or not) needs to be made to the author/supplier in whatever forum (s)he provides, or uses. The Custom UI Editor is just about the only show in town and is generally used in examples, but that doesn't constitute recommendation by Microsoft and, even if it did, it does not mean that Microsoft have any influence on the product, and, even though these forums are facilitated by Microsoft, they are not a channel for communication with Microsoft.

I didn't mean to suggest that you shouldn't criticise unless you have the ability to do better yourself - far from it, but I do suggest that you can take or leave any offering as seen, and do the best you can to work with the tools available to you, and your own abilities. I don't know how to create an editor either, but I rarely use this one myself, as I find its shortcomings frustrating.

--
    Enjoy,
    Tony

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Monday, January 17, 2011 8:40 PM
  • Hi Tony,

Thanks for your clarifications and further suggestions.

Sorry if my original post came over harsher than intended but it was really driven by a professional curiosity. It seemed strange (a mystery :-) that such a good tool would stop just short of becoming much better and stay at that point for years. I asked the same questions I would have asked the developer(s) face to face in what was meant as a good-humoured spirit.

After Cindy's replies I have registered with openxmldeveloper.org and thereby following your advice as well. I'll see what can be achieved there and hopefully for the best of all Custom UI Editor followers.

Thanks again to both of you for your help with this!

Best,

Willy

Monday, January 17, 2011 9:27 PM