How to improve speed of loading site RRS feed

Answers

• User281315223 posted

I've posted this often in similar discussions on performance. It's a collection of resources that I have compiled which should cover just about every aspect of improving the performance and overall quality of your applications : 

The Web Developer Checklist

If you want an excellent resource that encompasses a variety of methods to improve your website or web application, I cannot recommend the Web Developer Checklist enough.

It features tools and resources that can help you analyze several aspects of your site including : 

• Best Practices (ensuring that your markup is in good condition and features like spell-checking)
    • Mobile Analysis (checking that your site works well on Mobile devices)
    • Analytics Checking (tools for uptime monitoring and traffic analysis)
    • Performance (including Google PageSpeed Insights, Yahoo's YSlow and tips to optimize your sites Headers and Images)
    • Usability (tools to check HTML5 compliance , Search-friendly URLs and more)
    • Accessibility (ensuring your site can be accessed using screen readers and has appropriate contrast levels)
    • SEO (tools to analyze how accessible and readable your site is for Search Engine crawlers and more)
    • Code Quality (CSS, Javascript and HTML validation tools)
    • Semantics (checking for additional data within your site)
    • Security (checks for best practices for securing your site and preventing nasty things like XSS)
    • Social Media (checks if your site is properly connected up with social media sites like Twitter and Facebook)

There is also an ASP.NET-specific version available on the site as well and one that focuses specifically on ASP.NET Performance. It's probably one of the best single resources that I have found for improving nearly all aspects of a website or web application.

If you need some additional resources relating to code optimization and finding ways to improve your application in general, check these out : 

Third Party Web-based Analyzers (Highly Recommended)

• Using Google PageInsights - Google's PageInsights can help you find areas of improvement and offers suggestions on how to get your site running faster.
    • Using Yahoo's YSlow Analyzer - Very similar to Google's PageInsights, YSlow looks for areas that you can check to improve the performance of your site.
    • The Web Developer Checklist for ASP.NET Performance - An incredible resource with a variety of different categories, tools and resources for improving your sites performance and finding areas of weakness. (I can't mention this enough)

Best Practices-Related

• Microsoft .NET Framework Guidelines and Best Practices This covers a variety of topics and guidelines that are suggested by Microsoft and the Community to help write and maintain high-quality code and applications.
    • Microsoft's Patterns and Practices Site - Although very similar to the site mentioned above, this features nearly all of Microsoft's technologies and patterns and practices that you can use to help write maintainable code and properly design applications.
    • The Web Developer Checklist - While not specifically related to code optimization, this checklist can be an excellent tool to help speed up the overal performance of your web applications and sites. You can read more about it on my blog post that covers it in a bit more detail here.
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 10:08 AM

All replies

• User482643855 posted

first of all your page should not have heavy images.

Second if you are showing search results then it is better you do data caching.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 5:03 AM
  • User-1963854939 posted

Some points that can help you :

1. Use image caching for any static image content.

2. Try to use custom paging & sorting, where-ever possible.

3. Use stored procedures, where-ever possible

4. If using LINQ, then use the concept of lazy-eager loading & immediate and deffered query exeution properly.

5. Use client side functionality like JQuery.

6. Try to use a decoupled application architecture, like using interfaces and abstract classes, as it will be a big application, so future additions will be helpful.

7. If possible, use MVC framework.

Hope this helps..!!!Laughing

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 10:00 AM
  • User281315223 posted

I've posted this often in similar discussions on performance. It's a collection of resources that I have compiled which should cover just about every aspect of improving the performance and overall quality of your applications : 

The Web Developer Checklist

If you want an excellent resource that encompasses a variety of methods to improve your website or web application, I cannot recommend the Web Developer Checklist enough.

It features tools and resources that can help you analyze several aspects of your site including : 

• Best Practices (ensuring that your markup is in good condition and features like spell-checking)
    • Mobile Analysis (checking that your site works well on Mobile devices)
    • Analytics Checking (tools for uptime monitoring and traffic analysis)
    • Performance (including Google PageSpeed Insights, Yahoo's YSlow and tips to optimize your sites Headers and Images)
    • Usability (tools to check HTML5 compliance , Search-friendly URLs and more)
    • Accessibility (ensuring your site can be accessed using screen readers and has appropriate contrast levels)
    • SEO (tools to analyze how accessible and readable your site is for Search Engine crawlers and more)
    • Code Quality (CSS, Javascript and HTML validation tools)
    • Semantics (checking for additional data within your site)
    • Security (checks for best practices for securing your site and preventing nasty things like XSS)
    • Social Media (checks if your site is properly connected up with social media sites like Twitter and Facebook)

There is also an ASP.NET-specific version available on the site as well and one that focuses specifically on ASP.NET Performance. It's probably one of the best single resources that I have found for improving nearly all aspects of a website or web application.

If you need some additional resources relating to code optimization and finding ways to improve your application in general, check these out : 

Third Party Web-based Analyzers (Highly Recommended)

• Using Google PageInsights - Google's PageInsights can help you find areas of improvement and offers suggestions on how to get your site running faster.
    • Using Yahoo's YSlow Analyzer - Very similar to Google's PageInsights, YSlow looks for areas that you can check to improve the performance of your site.
    • The Web Developer Checklist for ASP.NET Performance - An incredible resource with a variety of different categories, tools and resources for improving your sites performance and finding areas of weakness. (I can't mention this enough)

Best Practices-Related

• Microsoft .NET Framework Guidelines and Best Practices This covers a variety of topics and guidelines that are suggested by Microsoft and the Community to help write and maintain high-quality code and applications.
    • Microsoft's Patterns and Practices Site - Although very similar to the site mentioned above, this features nearly all of Microsoft's technologies and patterns and practices that you can use to help write maintainable code and properly design applications.
    • The Web Developer Checklist - While not specifically related to code optimization, this checklist can be an excellent tool to help speed up the overal performance of your web applications and sites. You can read more about it on my blog post that covers it in a bit more detail here.
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 10:08 AM
  • User25800215 posted

Use file Minificaiton and bundling to improve initial page load.

Use REST or WEBAPI instead of WCF if those services suits for your requirement

Use HTML controls instead serverside if you are using asp.net

Ensure that you are using viewstate when it is required only in all other cases disable viewstate.

Use Iquerible queries instead IEnumerable queries (LINQ)

Use Distributed caching if it is possible and cache frequently used data.

Ensure that your forms are simple.

Monday, January 27, 2014 9:04 AM