Dashboard repots that app hang - How to debug the dump files?

Question

• Hi,

I released my first Win 8.1 app a short time ago. Now I discovered that there are four different items in the Quality section of the Dashboard reporting unresponsive/hang issues.

I downloaded the CrashDumps and tried to analyse them with Visual Studio and WinDbg but I did not get any useful information. I do not have a lot of experience in analysing CrashDumps and tried to follow the instruction in this MSDN Blog. While this article gives good information about debugging crashes the steps described there seem not work with hanging issues.

The best information I got is from the report titles within the Dashboard. There seem to be two different problem types:

APPLICATION_HANG_WERAPI_PLM_BusyHang_cfffffff_Windows.UI.Xaml.dll!Unknown
    APPLICATION_HANG_WERAPI_PLM_cfffffff_ntdll.dll!Unknown

I have no idea what this could mean. Is there any way to find out where exactly the app hang? The second problem type is:

APPLICATION_HANG_QUIESCE_THROTTLED_cfffffff_MyCompany.MyApp!suspend_took_too_long
    APPLICATION_HANG_QUIESCE_THROTTLED_BusyHang_cfffffff_MyCompany.MyApp!suspend_took_too_long

This seems to be some problem when suspending the the app. Does this mean, that the actions called in OnSuspending() take to long to execute? The "problem" here is, that the app does nothing in OnSuspending(). The method was auto-generated when creating the project:

private void OnSuspending(object sender, SuspendingEventArgs e) {
       var deferral = e.SuspendingOperation.GetDeferral();
       //await SuspensionManager.SaveAsync();
       deferral.Complete();
    }

The default code handled the call to the SuspensionManager. But since the app uses a quite simple DataModel it does not use the SuspensionManager at all. Thus there is no work to be done in OnSuspending() at all. Of course I could have removed the Deferral as well, couldn't I? But I don't think, that this can be the source of the problem, could it?

I have not a lot of experience with the analyse of CrashDumps. It would be great if someone with more experience could have a look at the dumps and let me know if there is any chance to get more information. I have upload the files to my OneDrive:

http://1drv.ms/1ntDVbu

Thank you very much!

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 7:09 AM

All replies

• I will look through the dump files and get back to you. Do you have symbol files (.pdb) for your app MoneyControlWin8 and PTCommons?

Windows Store Developer Solutions, follow us on Twitter: @WSDevSol|| Want more solutions? See our blog

Thursday, May 29, 2014 12:56 AM
  • Thank you very much for your reply and your offer to have a look at the logs. I found PDB files at different locations in the build folder. I am not sure which one you need, so I uploaded all of them to:

https://onedrive.live.com/

Sunday, June 1, 2014 5:01 PM
  • Hi Agenor,

Can you share the actual URL of the PDB files? You just posted onedrive.live.com as the link not the actual location for the PDB files.

Thanks,

Prashant

Windows Store Developer Solutions, follow us on Twitter: @WSDevSol|| Want more solutions? See our blog

Monday, June 9, 2014 5:04 PM