Design a holiday/vacation approval request workflow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been tasked with designing a holiday (vacation) request/approval system - and I'm struggling!
    We're running WSS 3.0 and using Sharepoint Designer 2007.

What I need to be able to do is:

1. Allow a staff member to view their holiday entitlement, then request a holiday, ideally by clicking dates on a calendar
    2. Send an email (or an alert) to their Manager for approval of the holiday
    3. The manager then approves/doesn't approve the holiday
    4. An email goes back to the requesting staff member showing approval status
    5. The holiday then appears on a central holiday calendar on the site, that displays all staff holidays
    6. The staff members' holiday entitlement updates when a holiday is approved

I'm very new to Workflows, so it's all a bit confusing at the moment, but I'm thinking I'll need a staff list and a manager list and a calendar, and entitlement stored somewhere, then do some calculations based on these lists.

Any help on how to build the lists up and put the workflow together would be much appreciated.

thanks very much
    James.

Monday, February 21, 2011 3:22 PM

All replies

• Proposed as answer by AnjiY Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:21 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:29 AM
    Monday, February 21, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Many thanks for that. It does part of what I need but not all of it by the looks of it.

Is there a way to calculate the holidays taken/remaining, and also to allow for multiple managers to approve the holiday? Our employees work for different departments and have different managers that would approve their particular requests.

thanks again

James.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 3:00 PM
  • Did you try the Absence Request and Vacation Schedule Management template ?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=56406562-01F9-4A18-9924-2DC0684232C8&displaylang=en

Dimitris Porikos, MCTS
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 4:24 PM
  • Hi Dimitris, thanks for that.

Yes, I have this added onto the site, but - unless I'm missing something, there's no user guide for it - it doesn't work in the way I want it to. It allows you to request the holiday but then assigns responsibilities to someone else, rather than calculating your holiday balance etc.
    As I say, I may be missing some features as there's no instructions on its use, but will probably be removing this plug-in for those reasons...

thanks

James.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 8:44 AM
  • Yes, you can create calculated columns to calculate the holidays taken/remaining

For multiple managers approval, create a new SharePoint group and add the managers, and assign the workflow for the group created.

--Cheers
    Friday, March 18, 2011 4:10 PM