Favicon.ico in Visual Studio 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• User1655374113 posted

Hello,

I am new to VS 2012. When I created a new project, I see Favicon.ico in solution explorer which is not in VS 2010.

What is the use of this and How can we add new item like this ?

TIA

Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:55 PM

Answers

• User-718146471 posted

The purpose of Favicon.ico is actually the little icon next to the address to the left. What you can do is edit the one that comes with it with an image editor that does icons. and then you can have your own customized icon with say your company logo. Realize though the image size is pretty small so be careful what you do with it. Also, icons are limited in the number of colors you can use too. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:16 PM
  • User281315223 posted

I believe that is the icon that is displayed for you application within a browser window (if specified within the application) and possibly on the toolbar, depending on the type of application you are using.

You could likely change the icon out manually within the Project Folder or I believe that you can manually set an icon through Visual Studio by taking the following steps : 

1. Right-Click your Project within the Solution Explorer in Visual Studio.
    2. Select Properties
    3. Select the Application tab on the left.
    4. Within the Resources area, you should have an option to select an "Icon and Manifest".
    5. Click the Ellipsis to browse and select the icon of your choice.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:18 PM

All replies

• User-718146471 posted

The purpose of Favicon.ico is actually the little icon next to the address to the left. What you can do is edit the one that comes with it with an image editor that does icons. and then you can have your own customized icon with say your company logo. Realize though the image size is pretty small so be careful what you do with it. Also, icons are limited in the number of colors you can use too. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:16 PM
  • User281315223 posted

I believe that is the icon that is displayed for you application within a browser window (if specified within the application) and possibly on the toolbar, depending on the type of application you are using.

You could likely change the icon out manually within the Project Folder or I believe that you can manually set an icon through Visual Studio by taking the following steps : 

1. Right-Click your Project within the Solution Explorer in Visual Studio.
    2. Select Properties
    3. Select the Application tab on the left.
    4. Within the Resources area, you should have an option to select an "Icon and Manifest".
    5. Click the Ellipsis to browse and select the icon of your choice.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:18 PM
  • User-718146471 posted

Rion, I'm not seeing that in my VS2012 project. Are you sure that isn't for a windows desktop application???

Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:23 PM
  • User-718146471 posted

For what its worth, here is some light reading on what favicon is and how to make your own. http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutorials/web_graphics/creating-your-own-favicon.ico-icon.html

Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:28 PM
  • User281315223 posted

It should be there. 

It see it in both the Web Forms and MVC Applications within the Properties area.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:44 PM
  • User-718146471 posted

Hmm, its strange because I just don't see that. Could it be because my project is a website instead of web application?

Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:52 PM
  • User281315223 posted

Possibly.

As that section is actually located under the "Application" portion of the Project Properties, it may only apply to actual Web Applications.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 2:07 PM