none
Upgrading Visual Basic 3.0 apps

Question

• Is there any guidance available on upgrading Visual Basic 3.0 applications to the current version of Visual Studio?

At the moment I get the impression that you have to upgrade to Visual Basic 4.0 then to Visual Basic 6.0 and then to Visual Studio using the Visual Basic Upgrade Wizard, if that is still available in Visual Studio 2015.

But I'd appreciate any comments on this.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 3:10 PM

Answers

• Hi ChristopherMN,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

As far as I know, there is no specific guidance document for upgrade Visual Basic 3.0 application to the VS 2015, since the Visual Basic 3.0 is an earlier version for several years ago and refer to the product lifecycle of software, the support on it is already ended for a long time, you can search it from here.

If you want to upgrade, you can back up your applications and have a try like the upgrade order that you mentioned. Maybe you will meet some compatibility issue during this progress of upgrade, since some features that you used may by not supported in the current version, like Visual Studio 2012 and Visual Studio 2013/2015 do not support debugging applications built with Visual Basic 6 or Visual C++ 6; to debug these applications, use earlier versions of Visual Studio, please have a look at this and follow the part ‘Troubleshooting project compatibility issues’ to troubleshot the compatibility issues.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, September 29, 2016 9:25 AM