none
How do authentication for child WCF service RRS feed

• Question

• I have Silverlight web application. The authentication of the Silverlight site is set to “Form” as bellow

<authentication mode="Forms">

<forms name=".ADAMII_ASPXAUTH" loginUrl="Default.aspx" protection="All" timeout="5400" slidingExpiration="true" />

</authentication>

<authorization>

<deny users="?" />

</authorization>

I have WCF service which is a separate application (ie.  separate VS solution not part of the Silverlight application). On the IIS though the service is set as Child application of the web site.

If I browse the service I get all kinds of issues because the configuration gets inherited from parent web site to child service. So I have added location attribute <location path="." inheritInChildApplications="false"> around all the configurations including <system.web>

So they don’t get inherited to child. But that opens child service to public.

How do I set <basicHttpBinding> in service’s configuration file so that it inherits authentication from parent web site

Friday, January 25, 2013 10:06 PM

All replies

• I need help on setting authentication in Silverlight website, WCF service and WCF REST service. All these applications are developed as three independent visual studio solutions.

However here is how these three applications are set up in IIS

Silverlight application is main application and set up as default website in IIS. Silverlight web site is using Forms authentication with ASP.Net SQL Membership, and has login.aspx where user actually gets authenticated.

In IIS, WCF service & REST service are set as child application of Silverlight application.

The Silverlight application has Hyperlink button that points to RSET service URL.

The Silverlight application also has proxy of WCF service and access that service's operations internally.

Now since services are available on public server I want to restrict user accessing them directly by typing URL in the browser.

1>     How should I setup configuration files in all these three applications?

2>     Do I need to setup Forms authentication again in WCF and REST services, even if it’s already setup in parent application. (ie. Silverlight)

3>     Do I need to setup any security in service’s endpoint? If yes please give me example

Monday, January 28, 2013 1:18 AM
  • Hi,

Would you please tell us the WCF service you use is a WCF service application or WCF workflow service application? If it is a WCF service application, I will help you to move your thread to WCF forum.

Best Regards,

Chen Yu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, January 28, 2013 9:21 AM
  • its WCF service application.

Sorry for duplicate post but i have created one more thread with more details

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wfprerelease/thread/0491423b-2c9d-4632-b0c8-298c7894f06c

Monday, January 28, 2013 2:50 PM
  • Hi,

As your issue is about WCF service application, I will move your thread to WCF forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Chen Yu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:06 AM