SmarterAsp.net Web Deploy unreliable - cannot connect to remote server / the server did not respond / make sure process Web Management Service is starter on remote computer RRS feed

• Question

• User379720387 posted

I have been with my current hosting provider for several years and several times per year Web Deploy stops working with "cannot connect to remote server" error message.

One week it works, come back to it a week later and I can no longer publish and get the error message indicated.

SmarterAsp.net support insists the problem is on my end, and I end up spending time until someone on their side fixes it.

As a result I have many different publish settings, as well as many folders each holding a version of my site from which I can no longer publish.

I can right click an individual file and publish fine.

When I pick two or more files from the preview action it fails.

Any suggestions?

Wednesday, December 25, 2019 7:59 AM

All replies

• User288213138 posted

Hi wavemaster,

As a result I have many different publish settings, as well as many folders each holding a version of my site from which I can no longer publish.

I can right click an individual file and publish fine.

When I pick two or more files from the preview action it fails.

Can you show me your project structure? Is it a large project with various sub-projects or others?

Normally we put the XML file in the PublishProfile file, then I just need to publish a PublishProfile file.

Best regards,

Sam

Thursday, December 26, 2019 2:45 AM
  • User379720387 posted

One solution, one project.

Thursday, December 26, 2019 3:30 AM
  • User288213138 posted

Hi wavemaster,

wavemaster

as well as many folders each holding a version of my site

wavemaster

One solution, one project.

I don't know why you have many folders each holding a version.

Can you show me a screenshot of your project structure?

Best regards,

Sam

Thursday, December 26, 2019 6:20 AM
  • User379720387 posted

solution has one project

there are about 100 files in the root

16 folders: estimating holding about 300 - 500 files in total, excluding bin and packages folders

Remember I can right click a file in Solutions Explorer and publish it.

I cannot do the Preview and then publish that same file, it results in the error message.

Thursday, December 26, 2019 12:05 PM
  • User288213138 posted

Hi wavemaster, 

wavemaster

Web Deploy stops working with "cannot connect to remote server" error message.

You can try to troubleshoot your web deploy problems by this link:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/iis/publish/troubleshooting-web-deploy/troubleshooting-web-deploy-problems-with-visual-studio

please check is the Management Service configured to allow remote connections or is the service URL correct? and so on.

Best regards,

Sam

Friday, December 27, 2019 8:09 AM