User experience in Windows Store when their build number is less than the min supported version RRS feed

• Question

• I am contemplating setting the min version of a UWP app to 10.14393 to allow for using updated media API's. Using adaptive code based on the version at runtime would not be an option in this case. I am trying to get a sense of what a user's experience will be when he visits the store and his Windows installation is detected to be lower than 10.14393. Are there clear directions indicating that he needs to update his Windows 10 installation and perhaps a brief reminder on where to go to do that?
    Friday, October 28, 2016 2:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Paul,
    You have the option System requirements in Properties of Dev Center app submission, which allows you to indicate if your customer device hardware features are required or recommended to run and interact with your app properly. The Store will detect it for you and you could implement it by checking the box for each hardware item.

The Store might also display a warning to customers who’re viewing your app’s listing on a device not having the required hardware. But it won’t prevent customer from downloading your app on devices which don’t have the proper hardware, they just won’t be able to rate or review your app on those devices.

Please note that the behavior for customers will vary depending on the specific requirements and the their version of Windows, see System requirements for details.

Best regards,
    Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 31, 2016 5:23 AM
  • Thank you for taking the time to respond Mattew. However my question was not regarding minimum hardware requirements. It was regarding requiring the user to have Windows 10.14393 or greater. I plan to target that version of Windows from my app. Will they be able to see the app in the store with a message indicating they must upgrade Windows or will they not see the app in the Store if they are running something lower than 10.14393?
    Tuesday, November 1, 2016 5:28 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Will they be able to see the app in the store with a message indicating they must upgrade Windows or will they not see the app in the Store if they are running something lower than 10.14393?

The Store will detect the customer's OS version, so if their device are running earlier than your app's minimum OS version, they can still see your app in the Store but they are not able to acquire your app, like the screenshot below.

In fact, they even cannot see your app's Store listing, like screenshot and description. The customer who run in 10.14393 or later will see your app's Store listing and can download your app, like below.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Mattew Wu Wednesday, November 2, 2016 4:48 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Mattew Wu Friday, November 4, 2016 5:36 AM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 3:24 AM