none
Application insight performance RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My application can be deployed on cloud and on-prem also, I want to use AI only for cloud deployment, does AI SDK  once added in my application impact performance of application if i don't provide instrumentation key for on-prem deployment?

Thanks in Advance.

Madhur

MB

Saturday, July 20, 2019 2:37 AM

Answers

• Hello Madhur,

As mentioned in the official docs, the impact of using Azure Application Insights on your app's performance is very small, as tracking calls are non-blocking, and are batched and sent in a separate thread.

However, could you please elaborate a little more on how you are separating the instrumentation and configuration on On-prem vs Cloud environments?

Monday, July 22, 2019 4:51 PM

All replies

• Hello Madhur,

As mentioned in the official docs, the impact of using Azure Application Insights on your app's performance is very small, as tracking calls are non-blocking, and are batched and sent in a separate thread.

However, could you please elaborate a little more on how you are separating the instrumentation and configuration on On-prem vs Cloud environments?

Monday, July 22, 2019 4:51 PM
  • Hi MadhurBhardwaj,

I used App insights for multiple websites which were hosted on App services, but I never notices any major difference in performance due to this. But what I always preferred Basic for QA and Premium for production. 

App insights can also be used for on-premises. I never tried this, but you can give a try.

https://unhandled.wordpress.com/2018/02/01/using-azure-application-insights-with-on-premises-servers/

-Malleswar

Monday, July 22, 2019 5:27 PM
  • Thanks for your inputs Malleswar!

Madhur,

Let us know if there is anything else related to this thread that we can assist you with, else please feel free to mark and close this out if any of the above responses have been of help! Thanks again for reaching out!
    Wednesday, July 24, 2019 9:21 AM
  • Hi Bhargavi,

Thanks for your response, as explained earlier our application can be deployed on-prem and on cloud.

We are addition AI telemetry using VS 2017 feature/link/option. Also we have an abstraction logging layer which can pick logging source (file/DB/ or AI) and our custom logs will be written in that location.

But as we have added AI via VS 2017 it should logs it auto- generated logs to AI if a key is provided and should ignore if no key is given. but it should not impact application performance.

please let me know if info provided is sufficient to answer.

MB

Sunday, August 4, 2019 11:18 AM
  • Hello Madhur,

Thanks for the response. Application Insights would still not have any fair impact on the performance of your application regardless. Hope this addresses your query!

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 11:27 AM