Enterprise Library - GAC RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to Enterprise Library and I have a question about how the config files would work with the GAC.  If I deploy the Enterprise Library and my application in the GAC, is it still possible that the assemblies to reference a config file?  The config file would contain user and connection parameters which can only be collect during user installation process.

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:42 PM

Answers

• Ideally you shouldn't be deploying your application to the GAC, if possible you shouldn't even deploy Ent. Lib. to the GAC either, but if you have to then I would only deploy the Ent. Lib. to the GAC as this should be viewed as generic framework that can be used by .Net application developed for it.

In my experience you should only deploy to the GAC if required too by another application (e.g. when developing for BizTalk) OR you are developing a generic framework that will be used multiple unconnected applications.

As for config files, they should all be defined in your application config(s) files and exist in the directory where you install your application even if do install assemblies into the GAC, you shouldn't have the config file paths hard coded inside assemblies.

Hope this helps.

Ollie Riches 

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 1:43 PM