Databinding Support RRS feed

• Question

• WPF is very much based on databinding for the way it interacts with data.  It looks like there is no support for the Binding tag in WPF/E.  Is this planned when the CLR is incoprorated?  Will you be able to bind to JScript data?  XML data islands etc?
    Tuesday, December 5, 2006 1:39 AM

Answers

• Thank you for using WPF/E. I am sorry to say that in Current CTP release we don’t support referencing an external assembly and data binding. In-fact, current version of WPF/E is a subset of WPF and does not support all the features of WPF. If you can share us what you are trying to do, May be we can help you with alternative approaches
    Tuesday, December 5, 2006 6:22 PM

All replies

• "WPF/E" does not support data binding per-se. However, when used in conjunction with ASP.NET and ASP.NET AJAX it can leverage ASP.NET data binding capabilities. Look at the samples at http://msdn.microsoft.com/wpfe

Tuesday, December 5, 2006 2:34 AM
  • There are no controls, so data binding is mute for now.
    Tuesday, December 5, 2006 2:50 AM
  • well is it that wpf is not going to have databinding support for version 1 or it doesnt support in the dec ctp.

thanks pasanth

Tuesday, December 5, 2006 2:57 PM
  • Thank you for using WPF/E. I am sorry to say that in Current CTP release we don’t support referencing an external assembly and data binding. In-fact, current version of WPF/E is a subset of WPF and does not support all the features of WPF. If you can share us what you are trying to do, May be we can help you with alternative approaches
    Tuesday, December 5, 2006 6:22 PM
  • thank u very much for ur prompt reply, coming to my situation we are currently developing a page based navigation application in wpf where we are heavily using list box and lot of other wpf controls and observable collections, we are interested in developing a cross platform application so we are planning to do another one in wpf/e.

i would really like to know when are u guys are planning to release the .net clr so that we can plan around that, we are very much dependent on wpf/e time line for releasing our product.

Tuesday, December 5, 2006 6:33 PM
  • In many cases, I think to leverage assets in the WPF land we will need some basic databinding.  WPF is based entirely around separating the data from the visual elements using binding. 

If we need to vote on features for the v1 time frame.  I would vote for the mini-CLR and databinding targets to DPs on WPF/E elements. 

If the download times are an issue then maybe the download could be split into separate parts.  One for the core WPF/E, then this component would download other parts based on the namespace declarations in the header. 

Tuesday, December 5, 2006 7:38 PM