Document Conversions Launcher Service Account RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any documentation regarding the account that SharePoint is using for the Document Conversions Launcher Service?  We need to find some official documentation (if any exist) that describes how this account is used. 

Thanks

Costas

Costas Tsaklas - http://costas.cpstechgroup.com
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:09 PM

Answers

• I am afraid you will not find any official documentation. But I can help you. HVU_<MACHINENAME> is anonymous account for Document Conversions Launcher Service. I guess it plays the same role lake IUSR_<MACHINENAME>. The conversion console application runs under this account. Moreover SharePoint creates a temp folder for a conversion console application exclusively under this account.

Oleg

• Marked as answer by Lily Wu Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:33 AM
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:24 PM

All replies

• I do not sugest you touch default settings. From my expirience the best accounts are Network Service for Office Document Conversions Load Balancer Service and Local system for Office Document Conversions Launcher Service.

Oleg

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:47 PM
  • Oleg,

I don't try to change the account.  SharePoint creates an account with the name HVU_<MACHINENAME> and we try to find information about it. When we stopped the two services, this account was disabled.  Any documentation around for the function of this account?

Thanks

Costas

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 12:24 AM
  • Hi Costas,

I am afraid that I cannot find any official documentation talking about this account. As far as I know, HVU_MachineName account is a guest account which gets created and enabled by the system when you enable the service. In order to make document conversion work, please note that this account should have log on locally rights.

Hope it helps.

Thanks & Regards.

Lily Wu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Lily Wu
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:14 AM
  • I am afraid you will not find any official documentation. But I can help you. HVU_<MACHINENAME> is anonymous account for Document Conversions Launcher Service. I guess it plays the same role lake IUSR_<MACHINENAME>. The conversion console application runs under this account. Moreover SharePoint creates a temp folder for a conversion console application exclusively under this account.

Oleg

• Marked as answer by Lily Wu Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:33 AM
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:24 PM
  • I thought that was the case but for control purposes we need some official documentation from Microsoft to state what you just described.  Thanks for the input.

Costas

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:28 PM
  • I spend a lot of time with Document Conversion tuning and I did not find any clear documentation. I could find just fragments in different paper books and in internet.

Good luck man:)

Oleg

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:35 PM