none
Link to local Word doucment from internal website RRS feed

• Question

• I'm building an internal web application using .NET. It will be hosted on IIS and will only be accessible from within a particular domain. Along with other database related features, the application is doing some file management on a local file share. I am reading all the files from a particular directory and displaying links to those files for the user. My anchor tags currently look like this:
    <a href="file://///SERVER/ShareFolder/Sample.docx">Sample File</a>

And when I hover the mouse over the link, the status bar correctly shows:
    The problem is, when I load the application in IE8 or IE9, and I click on the link, nothing happens at all. Some users will have Office 2007, other will have 2003 w/ compatibility pack. I've tested on multiple machines with different configs, and get the same results - no action.
    However I can successfully right-click-->Save target as... to download the file. Also, if I simply type the URL in the address bar, I am successfully promtped to open or save the file.
    But I need to be able to click on the link and have it open the file in place for editing in the user's local copy of Word. The site is internal, so I'm happy to add it to a trusted zone if needed, or change client settings as required.
    Please advise on the best way to accomplish this. Thank you.
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 3:50 PM

Answers

• I'll post to the other forum as well, but this is an issue specific to developing with MSFT Office. As part of my MSDN license, this is one of the forums where I'm paying for premium support.

Sure, I can totally understand.   Could you please help us narrow down the issue?   The issue is consistent for all Office files, but could you please try other types of files like .txt files?  If the issue still occurs, I think the problem should be related to the server settings (IIS) or local security settings. 

Good day!

Thanks

Michael Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    • Marked as answer by MCM14 Tuesday, September 6, 2011 3:47 PM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 2:53 AM
  • Turns out adding the site to the local intranet zone fixed the issues. Thanks.
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 3:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Does the issue also occur for other types of files except Word document?   Also, have you tried to access your web app in other WebBrowsers?  

Honestly, I think it's more likely to get help on this issue in ASP.NET forum, http://forums.asp.net since more web dev experts are helping us there.

Good day!

Thanks

Michael Sun [MSFT]
    Monday, September 5, 2011 9:18 AM
  • The issue is consistent for all types of Office files.

Other browsers are not an option for this project.

I'll post to the other forum as well, but this is an issue specific to developing with MSFT Office. As part of my MSDN license, this is one of the forums where I'm paying for premium support.

Monday, September 5, 2011 9:28 PM
  • I'll post to the other forum as well, but this is an issue specific to developing with MSFT Office. As part of my MSDN license, this is one of the forums where I'm paying for premium support.

Sure, I can totally understand.   Could you please help us narrow down the issue?   The issue is consistent for all Office files, but could you please try other types of files like .txt files?  If the issue still occurs, I think the problem should be related to the server settings (IIS) or local security settings. 

Good day!

Thanks

Michael Sun [MSFT]
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 2:53 AM
  • Turns out adding the site to the local intranet zone fixed the issues. Thanks.
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Glad to hear the issue is solved. :)

Good day!

Michael Sun [MSFT]
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 3:18 AM