Remote debuging of Workflow service RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have development machine (ouside domain) where I've created simple Workflow service. Then service was deployed to other server (inside domain). It works ok. I wanted to debug this service on remote machine so I've setted up the VS 2010 Remote Debuger and assign to process w3wp.exe on remote machine. My problem is that if I place a brake points in my xamlx file, they are never fired, however when I add the custom activity to the workflow and place brakepoint to the code of this activity it works. I tried this on localhost and it was firing both in workflows and custom activities.

Am I missing some information ?

Thanks for help

Monday, March 22, 2010 8:37 AM

All replies

• I often use System.Diagnostics.Debugger.Break() in my code to poke the debugger manually. This will pop up a dialog, allowing you to open another VS to debug your project. Don't forget to close it afterwards tho. I often find myself coding in the devenev.

I hope this can help you :)

Monday, March 22, 2010 9:12 AM
  • Yes, I got your point, but where do I put this code  System.Diagnostics.Debugger.Break() when I have just *.xamlx. I think that is not solving my issue.

Monday, March 22, 2010 1:12 PM
  • Hi -

To be able to remote debug Workflow, the full path to xamlx (OR xaml) file needs to match the FileName property (in both local and remote machines).

The FileName property can be found within the file.
    ex: sad:XamlDebuggerXmlReader.FileName="C:\inetpub\wwwroot\WF\Service1.xamlx"

In other words, for the scenario described, place the xamlx file in folder described by FileName property (or change FileName property as appropritate) in both remote and local machine. Remote debug should work if all paths to xaml match FileName property.

I hope this helps-
    Naiana

Monday, March 29, 2010 9:53 PM