none
Best way for mailbox polling RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm building a system which works close with Exchange Online and currently is does the following

• There are about 30-40 shared mailboxes
    • We're using Graph API to create mailbox subscriptions so we get notified via web hooks as a new mail arrives
    • We fetch all items in those mailboxes using Graph API as daily scheduled job just to make sure we didn't miss anything

However it appears that mailbox subscription web hooks are

• not reliable
    • don't guarantee any sla
    • not recommended approach

as stated in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/office-365-management-api/troubleshooting-the-office-365-management-activity-api#using-webhooks

I was thinking about different scenario

• Have one and only mailbox with many aliases
    • Poll it from application using IMAP
    • Based on message header understand the actual recipient

Thus we can have almost realtime mails fetch (delay for 30-60 secs polling is acceptable) and can guarantee we won't miss anything

But I was wondering if there any alternative solution?

• Moved by Manu Meng Tuesday, January 15, 2019 8:49 AM relocate
    Monday, January 14, 2019 11:30 AM

All replies

• I recommend that you post this in the Development Forum:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrdevelopment/threads

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Monday, January 14, 2019 11:30 PM
  • As Ed said, issue is related to Exchange Online Dev, I will help move the thread to above mentioned forum.

Thanks for your understandings!

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 8:49 AM
  • Thanks Manu

Should I re-create it in the related thread or will you move it?

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 10:02 AM
  • Thanks Manu

Should I re-create it in the related thread or will you move it?

No need to re-create it, the thread has already been moved to Exchange Development forum,  now community members in this forum could see you thread.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 1:50 AM