Just stuck... RRS feed

• Question

• OK, I am creating a Masthead to use on all pages of a website.  The size is 200-h and 900-w.  In the artboard (which is the size of the masthead) I put a logo picture, and text area, and a line drawn from 1 side of the masthead to the other to break it up into 2 sections (the line is NOT straight, because I want to make it look like a piece of rock).  I want to put a textured fill as the matte in 1 of the sections.  I've read the Help docs over and over again, I can't create a fill for this space even when I create a slice from it.  Plus the slice contants my logo and text even tho they are locked and shouldn't be in my slice.  Please I wish I could send this to someone so they could walk me through how to do this, it seems like it should be so simple but for some reason the computer Gods have made me an idiot today so please help me if you have the patience too.  Thank you!
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:51 PM

All replies

• If you don't want something in your slice, hide what you don't want in the Layers panel.

If you need further help, please feel free to send me your file at v-anford at microsoft dot com.

Annie
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:13 PM
  • Two short points: in the slice property, there's a "slice contents" combo box. There you can select which layers to include in the slice. So if you move on a different layer logo and text, and tell the slice not to include that layer, they won't be on the slice. You can add them back any time.

For the filling: do you have just a jagged line or a closed shape? If it is a line, you will see the filling only in some areas. I think you can create a rectangle, draw over it your rocking line, then select both rectangle and line and use divide paths to split the rectangle in two jagged halves. You can apply the filling to the first half and delete or leave transparent the second.

Let me know if you have already tried those things and did not solve your problem.

Friday, February 18, 2011 12:37 AM
  • Thank you so much for all the help everyone.  I finally figured out what I was doing wrong.  The shape I created had an open space between two of the anchor points so it couldn't fill itself because it wasn't a complete shape.  Thank you all so much for your suggestions, I knew it had to be something simple because I had created something similiar before with no problems.

Thanks again for everything....

Kelly

• Proposed as answer by aral1108 Monday, March 7, 2011 10:16 AM
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:46 PM
  • Hey Kelley,

Really glad you found out what the problem was I know that was a relief.  BTw please give credit to those that contributed answers to your questions it can be more than one person.  The most important reason for doing this is so that if somemone else asked the same question they can quickly find the answer that others provided for you.  So you help others by helping yourself what a concept!

Again glad your issue is rectified,

MIKE E

"It's like déjà vu all over again." — Yogi Berra
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 4:00 AM