Using asp:login with Mobile Form? RRS feed

• Question

• User1091031551 posted

Can this be done?  I added asp:login, but get a message that it can only be done on a template.  How do you do this?

Thanks.

Thursday, May 12, 2005 12:02 AM

All replies

• User604330581 posted

Mobile pages only support controls that inherit from the MobileControl class, because only these controls can render for mobile devices. You can only use other controls in a device-specific template that is only used for HTML controls.

However, you can provide similar functionality for non-HTML devices with a couple of textboxes, and an event handler that manually logs the user in (as with ASP.NET 1.x). You can call Membership.ValidateUser to validate user credentials with the Membership system.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 2:25 AM
  • User-168896048 posted

On a similar note, I see in the Membership schema that there is a mobile PIN.  This is a great idea since using a strong password from a mobile deivce can be unworkable, particularly when using a smartphone or other device where one is entring text via multi-tap text entry.

Our site needs to support both computer and mobile devices and I would like to show the standard login when using a PC, but an alternate login for the mobile device that requests the username and mobile PIN instead of the password.  However, I do not any actual support for the mobile PIN.  Any suggestions?  Is this not what the Mobile PIN in the schema is used for?

Glenn

Monday, August 22, 2005 1:58 PM
  • User604330581 posted

We built the concept of a mobile alias and PIN into the design of the Membership schema from very early on, but we didn't build the capability to authenticate against this in the Login control. However, the schema fields are intended for use with mobile browsers, and can be used to do what you describe if you write your own login UI.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 12:39 PM