Web Deployment Task Failed - protocol violation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All--having trouble publishing some updates to my Web App.  I've seen plenty of web deployment error threads in my search before posting, but none with the message I've been getting.  FWIW--I successfully deployed the application weeks ago and have already published one batch of updates without incident, however today when I go to publish a big batch of updates I get the following:

Web deployment task failed.(Could not complete the request to remote agent URL 'http://mywebserver/MSDEPLOYAGENTSERVICE'.)

Could not complete the request to remote agent URL 'http://mywebserver/MSDEPLOYAGENTSERVICE'.
    The server committed a protocol violation.

It directs me to line 964 in Microsoft.Lightswitch.Targets which is the first line in the section below:

<VSMSDeploy Condition=" '$(_PublishWeb)' == 'true'"
                        Source="@(MsDeploySourceProviderSetting)"
                        Destination="@(MsDeployDestinationProviderSetting)"
                        DisableLink="$(PublishDisableLinks)"
                        EnableLink="$(PublishEnableLinks)"
                        AllowUntrustedCertificate="$(AllowUntrustedCertificate)"
                        SkipExtraFilesOnServer="$(SkipExtraFilesOnServer)"
                        SetParameterItems="@(LocalizedMsDeployDeclareParameters)"
                        SkipRuleItems="@(MsDeploySkipRules)"
                        InvokedByPublish="true" 
                        RetryAttempts="$(RetryAttemptsForDeployment)"/>

I can still access the site (un-updated of course) on the web server and have restarted the MSDEPLOY service but still no dice.  Any ideas?...

Saturday, June 1, 2013 2:49 AM

All replies

• As an update, I managed to get my changes successfully published this morning--without any changes....   This is not the first time this has happened and a previous unresolved thread never figured out the problem but suggestions pointed to Firewall/Anti-virus issues. 

I'm assuming that some combination of dev machine and corporate network security settings/activities is causing this to happen occasionally & it always seems to resolve itself eventually but if any one has any insight I'd love to get this figured out for future reference and anyone else that may run into this situation.  Any ideas?

Saturday, June 1, 2013 6:31 PM