none
Are Azure VMs or their user accounts locked after too much activity/uploads on MSDN Premium subscription accounts? RRS feed

• Question

• I have created an Azure VM for the purpose of testing a new installation process for my software. The VM is using Windows 10 Preview.

Yesterday I uploaded an ISO file which contained our software plus installers for SQL Server Express (various editions). (About 1.8 gb)

I ran our custom setup program which installs SQL express, restores a new user database, adds firewall exceptions etc. etc.

This morning I cannot RDP into that VM. The connection is made, but when I attempt to login, I am simply returned to the Windows Security Dialog, with the message "Your credentials did not work..."

I know I am typing the password correctly, I have double checked things like typos in the user name and password, Caps Lock is not on ;-) and so on.

This happened to a VM I had set up last week too, after a similar test and after attempting various options including resetting credentials using Powershell (found here) I accepted that I must have forgotten the password or done something wrong, so I started again.

Now the same things has happened I am wondering if that level of activity (uploading 1.8gb then running a setup which retrieved and installed .Net runtime 3.5) on an Azure VM that runs under an MSDN Premium subscription Azure account, caused the user account to be locked out for a period of time - have I hit some limit of uploads to that machine or activity or some other limit I'm not aware of?

Thursday, February 5, 2015 12:50 AM

Answers

• if you have exceeded your monthly credits for your MSDN Azure subscription, its your subscription that's going to be suspended.

given that you can still enter your credentials in your VM, that means your VM is up and running, so your subscription is still active. otherwise, your VM would have been shut down already.

have you tried resetting your VM credentials again?

• Marked as answer by Stuart Helwig Thursday, February 5, 2015 1:38 AM
    Thursday, February 5, 2015 12:57 AM

All replies

• if you have exceeded your monthly credits for your MSDN Azure subscription, its your subscription that's going to be suspended.

given that you can still enter your credentials in your VM, that means your VM is up and running, so your subscription is still active. otherwise, your VM would have been shut down already.

have you tried resetting your VM credentials again?

• Marked as answer by Stuart Helwig Thursday, February 5, 2015 1:38 AM
    Thursday, February 5, 2015 12:57 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion JuneT. That has worked!  I avoided it initially because I had been down that path last time and it didn't help.

Now to try to ascertain, why the credentials didn't work / or changed. It's Windows 10 Enterprise Technical Preview. Could it be that the account created was set to expire or something strange?

Thursday, February 5, 2015 1:38 AM