Cannot Associate TestCase RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

i have created a TestClassExtention, and everywhere i use it i cannot associate/create the test methods with a testcase.

i get "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
    if i return the class to "TestClass" attribute all is working fine.

this behavior also happens with the examples about TestClassExtension.

going to the test class and associating from there works as well as using the "Pronto Extension".

also does anyone know how i can get the test run id, if i run the tests from MTM?

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 6:07 AM

Answers

• Hi Liran,

Glad to receive your reply.

I have a client that requested that some of his UI test that are run through the MTM have a retry option.

Not very sure what the real result you want to get, is your real goal that you want to run the UI test through the MTM with a retry option? If so, my suggestion is that you could post this issue in the MTM forum to check whether it has this function.

If you just want to Associate the TestCase, maybe this blog could help, see “HOW TO: Associate Automation for Test Cases in Visual Studio 2010”.

If you want to write a TestClassExtention to achieve this feature, my suggestion is that you could submit this feature request: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio. The Visual Studio product team is listening to user voice there. You can send your ideas/suggestions there and people can vote.

Have a nice weekend,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, July 20, 2012 7:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Liran,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

Would you mind letting us know more information? Are you using the MTM? Not the MTM expert, but if you are using this tool, you could post this issue in the MTM forum for better support. If not, maybe you could share us the detailed steps to repro this issue.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Thursday, July 19, 2012 6:57 AM
  • hello

I have a client that requested that some of his UI test that are run through the MTM have a retry option.

because MTM is not extensible... i had to use the TestClassExtension to implement this behavior.

and here comes the need to have Automated testcases.

the machine i use:

Win7 SP1

VS2010 ult. SP1 + CU2 + FWTFS11

repro. steps:

1. create a TestclassExtension and register it properly
    2. create a basic test project
    3. replace the testclass attribute with the customized testclassExtension we created

1. open the test view window, refresh the tests
    2. select one of the test and try to associate it with a test case

thank you

Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:23 AM
  • Hi Liran,

Glad to receive your reply.

Not very sure what the real result you want to get, is your real goal that you want to run the UI test through the MTM with a retry option? If so, my suggestion is that you could post this issue in the MTM forum to check whether it has this function.

If you just want to Associate the TestCase, maybe this blog could help, see “HOW TO: Associate Automation for Test Cases in Visual Studio 2010”.

If you want to write a TestClassExtention to achieve this feature, my suggestion is that you could submit this feature request: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio. The Visual Studio product team is listening to user voice there. You can send your ideas/suggestions there and people can vote.

Have a nice weekend,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Friday, July 20, 2012 7:00 AM