none
Windows 7 Change Default Browser programatically RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to write some code in Visual Studio 2017 that will look to see what the default browser is for the user's pc(Windows 7 64-bit) - if the default browser is IE, I want to programmatically change it to Chrome. I've seen various links when searching for a solution, but nothing seems to work just right. I can easily get the default browser, but having difficulty changing the default browser to Chrome.
    Monday, May 20, 2019 7:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi JMANCI,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to the description, it seems this issue is about the development and our forum is to discuss the VS IDE. What's your project type? Please share more detail information and I will try my best to help you find the appropriate forum for better support, thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 6:14 AM
  • Hi Sara - I just found an answer to my question in the link below. The project type is a simple windows application. I'm calling the program below from code, passing the browser name as an argument, and that changes the default browser. I'll mark this as the Answer and feel free to move this thread to another forum so that it may help someone else.

https://kolbi.cz/blog/2017/11/10/setdefaultbrowser-set-the-default-browser-per-user-on-windows-10-and-server-2016-build-1607/

• Marked as answer by JMANCI Tuesday, May 21, 2019 1:36 PM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2019 1:36 PM
  • Hi JMANCI,

We are so glad to hear that your issue is solved and thanks for your sharing.

If you have any other VS issues in the future, please feel free to let us know.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 1:49 AM