The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Virtual Machines, Azure Virtual Machines!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

RPD to VM stopped responding RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've read through a lot of threads with various RDP issues but nothing quite covered this scenario or, if it did, I didn't see an online response.

I setup an A2 VM in Azure about 90 days ago and it's been working great hosting a website I'm working on for a client. However, about 2 weeks ago it stopped responding to RDP requests; I had been using RDP successfully nearly every day so to start getting the "can't connect to the remote computer..." message was a bit of a surprise given that throughout all of this the website and its database continued to function normally.

Things I tried based on various blog posts:

1. Reboot the VM from the Azure portal
    2. Resize the VM [from A2 to A1 ... and back again]
    3. Establish a remote power shell connection [this worked, but didn't fix RDP]
    4. Changed the public endpoint value for RDP

The power shell trick, after a lengthy set of steps, did allow me to get "in" enough to install UltraVNC which is how I now remote into the server, but I would really rather have RDP working and especially would like to know how to solve this problem in case it happens in production!

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Ken

Monday, June 16, 2014 8:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Ken,

There are multiple reasons which might affect you from RDP into your VM.

Since you are able to access you Virtual Machine using remote PowerShell which means that the machine is running healthy from platform point of view.

Can you please answer the following questions?

1)What is the kind of image are you using?

2)Do you have a virtual Network configured?

3)Have you done any changes on the VM? Any firewall changes?

4)Do you have multiple VM's in the same cloud service?

If you don't have multiple VM's under this cloud service. Can you please create a new VM under the same cloud service, try to RDP into the new machine and ping the old VM from the new VM. If you are able to ping the VM and try to RDP into it.

Run-->Mstsc --> use internal IP address(DIP).

You should be able to RDP in an ideal case scenario. Let me know if this works.

Monday, June 16, 2014 11:45 PM
  • Hi,

I think you should wait for the virtual machine created process finished and then try again.

The steps as you mentioned have no problem.

Regards.

Vivian Wang

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 7:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Ken,

There are multiple reasons which might affect you from RDP into your VM.

Since you are able to access you Virtual Machine using remote PowerShell which means that the machine is running healthy from platform point of view.

Can you please answer the following questions?

1)What is the kind of image are you using?

2)Do you have a virtual Network configured?

3)Have you done any changes on the VM? Any firewall changes?

4)Do you have multiple VM's in the same cloud service?

If you don't have multiple VM's under this cloud service. Can you please create a new VM under the same cloud service, try to RDP into the new machine and ping the old VM from the new VM. If you are able to ping the VM and try to RDP into it.

Run-->Mstsc --> use internal IP address(DIP).

You should be able to RDP in an ideal case scenario. Let me know if this works.

Monday, June 16, 2014 11:45 PM
  • Hi,

I just want to confirm what is the current situation.

Regards.

Vivian Wang

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:54 AM
  • I have the same problem.

My VM asked me to restart so windows updates could be applied and since then I cannot RDP in. I am not a server admin expert I am a developer and completely lost. My production vm is dead in the water because of a windows update.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:44 PM
  • Hi All, 

Even I'm experiencing some problem connecting to VM.

This Morning, I've tried following steps:

1. New-> Virtual Machine->From Gallery

2. Choose an Image-> Selected BizTalk Server 2013 Developer on Windows Server 2012 

3. Given VM Name, Tier-> Basic, Size->A0, Provided UserName and password

4. Cloud Service->Create New, given cloud service DNS Name, Region-> East US, Storage Account->Automatic, Availability Set->None. Clicked Next 

5. Virtual Machine configuration page-> Only Install VM Agent was checked and clicked Ok.

Virtual Machine was showing as running. 

But when I try to connect, its saying unable to connect to the remote server. 

Did I miss any step? Please advise. 

Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:24 AM
  • Hi,

I think you should wait for the virtual machine created process finished and then try again.

The steps as you mentioned have no problem.

Regards.

Vivian Wang

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 7:14 AM
  • Hi Ken,

I just want to confirm what is the current situation.

Please feel free to let us know if you have any update.

Regards.

Vivian Wang

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 7:15 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the late reply; yes, the situation is still in effect - can't RDP to the server. I have to be careful not to disrupt it so I'm moving a bit slowly.

To answer your questions:

1) It's a standard A2 image

2) I did not configure a virtual network

3) No changed to the VM between when I was able to connect to it and when that stopped

4) When you say "in the same cloud service" what are you referring to? I have more than one VM created under the same Azure account but not part of an availability set.

Thanks for the assist!

Ken

Thursday, June 26, 2014 9:55 PM